Should i strain my stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berk2027

Reaction score
Over week ago I made my stout asked a few questons on here when i got stuck. I mashed without bagging my grains now the stout is just about ready to bottle but its very bitty should I strain it through some fine cloth as I bottle

Not if you want to oxidize it. Put a muslin hop sock over the end of your siphon in the bottling bucket to do the job. If your fermenter has a spigot,then put the sock over the end of the tubing that you atached to the spigot on the bottling bucket end.

Over week ago I made my stout asked a few questons on here when i got stuck. I mashed without bagging my grains now the stout is just about ready to bottle but its very bitty should I strain it through some fine cloth as I bottle

I assume you mean that it is "very bitter"? If so, I'm not sure any pieces of grain floating around in there are the culprit (and even if so, the "damage" is done, so straining them won't help with the bitterness).

What was your recipe?

I thought getting the floaters out would help in the long run if what he's tasting is green beer "bite". The hops usually are kinda bitter in green beer till it conditions.

I ment that I have a lot of minute pieces of the crushed grain left in amongst the liquid I didn't strain it very well into the fermenter

JLem said:
I assume you mean that it is "very bitter"? If so, I'm not sure any pieces of grain floating around in there are the culprit (and even if so, the "damage" is done, so straining them won't help with the bitterness).

What was your recipe?

I mixed a few recipes together. I used 1lb 4oz - oatmeal. 8oz - rye. 6oz - black malt ( whole ). 10oz - crystal malt ( crushed ). 12oz - chocolate malt ( crushed ). 75g - hops
1lb 1oz muntons spray malt extra dark. 4oz - chocolate powder.
2 tins of coopers liquid malt 1 dark 1 light

Back