Belgain Saions question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesseroberge

Reaction score
Here is my question and here is your answer I guess :)

A few weeks back I brewed my first ever Belgain Saison AG batch of beer... I'm a nOOb in the art of brewing but EVERYTHING went well because I invested in the equepement... I pitched Wyeast French Saison 3711 smack pack and let it sit for 11 days in primary then it seemed pretty still so I racked to secondary... Readings went form 1.060 to 1006 in 11 days only, pretty proud of my results and taste in the test tube after reading, I finally rack into secondary. Iet it sit for exactly 24 hours and the panic gets to me, I'm scared of infections so I cold crash it for 3 days just to let it clear out before racking it into my keg... I have another reading and a taste test and the taste was far from the first one I took 4 days ago, I say to myself what the heck i'll carb it up slowly at 12 PSI and let it be for a while... 4 days into carbing I took a sample to taste what it was with CO2 in the brew, the taste is, well, not that great... Nothing like the AG beers I tasted at my buddies house :( It has an ABV of 6.1% and realy has a hard taste to it... Actually I don't think I like this beer at all :( Is it because it is too young. I know I should have waited 30 days in primary but i'm a nOOb in the brewing industry... Will the beer get better with time or will it taste the farmhouse funk all the time... Maby the saison beers are just not for me I guess... I would like your feedback if possible... I was excited after the taste test after primary but now :(

Actualy after thinking about what I hate of this beer is that after taking a whirl you get this burning alchol taste in tour chest and a back draft into your nose... Very
Strong taste of alchol and very sweet even if it's only 6.1% the sugar and alchol make me only wanna take one glass and not even :(

Maby because I took it off the yeast cake the beer wasn't finished working, now it has very little yeast left to disolve the sugars in the beer... That's what makes it so sweet, where does the alchol taste come from ?? I don't know but i'm not impressed of the taste at all !!

Relax! I think you rushed it a bit, but let it sit for a while. I just did a Saison that I let primary for 5 weeks, it's been in the keg for a week carbing. I just tasted it last night and it is on point. You don't need to secondary a Saison unless you are doing something like adding fruit or dry hopping and you want to wash the yeast. Just let it chill, it will get better.

you just ignoring the post VAbrewer made? Chill and let it condition a month or so then sample again, if still not happy let it ago another week and so forth.

I just made a Saison with that yeast. It has been in the primary for 3 weeks. It is at .006 and has been for a week. You need to leave beer on the cake to give the yeast time to clean up after itself. I don't rack beer by time, but by taste. Even if it hits terminal gravity leave it in the primary since the taste will change.

I will probably keg this one next week sometime.

Back