ghetto brew setups?...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maxam said:
Ok, I just have to say that anyone with any Blichmann product does not qualify for a "Ghetto brew setup." You sir, have a sweet boilermaker kettle.

I'd go as far to say that anyone with a SS kettle is disqualified from this thread.

My previous kettle was a ss 4 gallon from dollar general. I think it was 10 bucks. I still use it for biab pm

My ghetto rig

image-275462151.jpg

90% of us have ghetto rigs...coolers and plumbing parts? how much more ghetto can you get? At least you have a stand! I'd say you are on the higher-end of ghettoness!

90% of us have ghetto rigs...coolers and plumbing parts? how much more ghetto can you get? At least you have a stand! I'd say you are on the higher-end of ghettoness!

Yeah....if there's a stand involved, a pump, or more than two vessels out of metal, I don't think you qualify for "ghetto"....;)

Other potential disqualifiers: quick disconnects, multiple burners, proper air handling, just about any sort of direct-control for fermentation temperatures, etc....:cross:

I don't have picture of this, but imagine, if you will, a freezer bag full of specialty malt that I forgot to run through the mill at the store, being beaten with a hammer on my front porch while I laugh maniacally.

Actually, after a few whacks, your narrator found out that just swinging the hammer at the stuff is way too violent, and causes tears in the plastic bag. Through experimentation, it has been discovered that one may instead spread a thin layer of uncracked grain on a flat clean surface, and rock the top of the hammer back and forth, pressing downward, gently but firmly, until it's cracked to the degree of your liking. Laugh all you want; this technique works.

@Malticulous

That weight machine is just asking to be repurposed to a brewrig.

Hells-yeah! Now THAT'S what we're talkin 'bout! (although ya ARE still using a nice keg there....) :p

True, but I certainly didn't want any nasty creek water in my wort! Other than burning the piss out of my leg carrying it down, it worked MUCH better than I expected. That is some ice cold Idaho runoff moving pretty fast so it didn't take long! I am now thinking about rigging up a pump to use this water for my CFC in the future.

Had some friends ask if it was a meth lab... Haha no a freaking sweet three tier setup!!!!

image-3152956672.jpg

Will add my stuff to the pics, not as ghetto as some, but more ghetto than others.

The old TV used to hold up the HLT gives it a nice "ghetto" feel. :cross:

The old TV used to hold up the HLT gives it a nice "ghetto" feel. :cross:

heh...beat me to it. Nice touch with the TV stand! (now you can watch episodes of BrewingTV and BYOBTV while you brew! ....until you spill, that is :p)

I think the ratchet strap to raise the grain bag/basket to drain qualifies me:

Waiting for the day the basket drops and splashes hot wort all over the garage (and probably me).

I think the ratchet strap to raise the grain bag/basket to drain qualifies me:

Waiting for the day the basket drops and splashes hot wort all over the garage (and probably me).

Hee hee hee. Although, the ratchet strap is a pretty damn good idea for the BIAB brewers....wet mash gets pretty damn heavy for a big batch!

Back