is this a good way to fix a low SG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keepitcold

Reaction score
I brewed a hefe Sunday and got terrible result. It was ment to be 1.056 end up being 1.042. Beer smith says if I add 2.5 gallons of a 1.100 wort to 3.5 gallons of the 1.042 beer it will brong it up to about to 1.052. Is this a good idea cconsidering I already started fermentation?

If you go that route you need to hop using the same schedule. 2.5 gallons is a lot of volume to make up for. I wouldn't do it though. I would just identify what went wrong with your process and redo it later.

Where are you going to get the 1.100 wort, and what will it be made of? 1.042 is a respectable gravity for a hefe. Why not just let it ride?

Enjoy the beer you have made. Troubleshoot your process- correct what went wrong for next time.

Let it go for now and blend it with a high abv beer when you drink it .... that is if you don't like it as a lower abv beer all on its own ... good luck

I added to a pale ale that I made. It was a similar situation to yours and I just used about 1/2 gallon of water and a pound of dme. It really killed the hop character and gave the beer a homebrew taste. It could have just been that I knew it is in there so I thought I could taste it, but I won't do it again. You will still get a 4.x% beer out of yours which is still decent, and it should taste good!

Latest posts

Back