Strawberry mead question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stout Man

Reaction score
Do the tiny little seeds on the outside of the strawberries contribute to the final taste of the mead? I am asking because I am trying to decide to blend the strawberries and then add or if I should just chop them up a couple times and put them in a straining bag of some kind. And should I add them after the honey in the pot, or put them in the carboy before the must? I've read as much as I can and haven't found anything about actual techniques to use when adding fruit. Just to make sure to freeze it before use and make sure it is "safe".

One more thing. I'm also reading a lot of recipes that call for pouring the wort into the fermenter when it hasn't cooled (way above 80 F). Won't this oxidize the must or is this not possible for mead? :confused:

I'd just chop the fruit and throw it in there. The seeds and fruit will settle to the bottom eventually. I do usually put all my fruit into a mesh straining bag and tie it up, though, so it's easier to remove!

You want oxygen in the must before and during the early part of fermentation. Oxidation isn't an issue until after fermentation starts winding down. Even for beer, it wouldn't oxidize it if fermentation hasn't started. Maybe you're thinking of the possibility of hot side aeration? Anyway, don't worry about it!

Consider chopping them somewhat coarsely and then let a little physics do some work for you. Freeze the chopped berries overnight. The water in the cells of the fruit will puncture the cell walls allowing more sugars and flavors out of the fruit and into your honey.

This method works great with raspberries and blackberries as well.

I have used bags for holding raspberries and it works, but I prefer to just dump them in without the bag. They tend to float on top anyway. :) I'm not sure if the strawberries would.

Sorry to get off-topic, but would that kind of thing work with apples, as well? I've ended up with a bushel of apples that aren't going to get eaten, and I'm suddenly wondering if they'd make a suitable addition to a mead?

Chris

the only way I see seeds causing any issue is if you managed to grind them up. then you'd be extracting that flavor. but they're so tiny, I just don't see it happening.

ctalbot: I don't see why not. As long as the water freezes it should make it mushy and let all the good stuff out. I would probably consider peeling them first though.

Stout Man said:
Do the tiny little seeds on the outside of the strawberries contribute to the final taste of the mead? I am asking because I am trying to decide to blend the strawberries and then add or if I should just chop them up a couple times and put them in a straining bag of some kind. And should I add them after the honey in the pot, or put them in the carboy before the must? I've read as much as I can and haven't found anything about actual techniques to use when adding fruit. Just to make sure to freeze it before use and make sure it is "safe".

Just chop them, the seeds on strawberries either don't contribute or they are so small they don't. I have made lots of strawberry wines and meads and haven't notice any bitterness and I just chop and freeze, then add when thawed.

There are two schools on adding fruit. The first is to add to the primary and squeeze the bag on racking to the secondary, always make sure the honey is mixed first then add fruit. The second school is to add the fruit to the secondary. What I have seen is that the secondary additions tend to produce a stronger fruit flavor. It could also be that the fruit is in the must a bit longer. I left my blueberries on the lees for two months on the last batch and it has really surprised me how much more intense the flavor is. I did not put them in a bag just added to the initial carboy.

Please keep in mind that you cannot do this with just any yeast either. The way I did it was mixed the honey, water, 1/3 of the total Nutrients needed and the Campden. In 24 hours made a starter for the yeast and pitched it. Stired the must well and then aded the fruit. I covered this with a towel and had to end up draining some off(about a gallon) as the fruit tends to expand massively. I also stired at least once a day until I put the airlock on. In two days I added 1/3 of the total nutrients again. About an hour after this it was fermenting very, very strong. In 10 days I added the final 1/3 of the nutrients, stired and slapped the airlock on. I did not touch it for 50 more days. I then racked to a secondary 5 gallon carboy. What was in the 1 gallon topped off the 5 gallon nicely. Most of the fruit had dropped to the bottom and the lees were nice and tight. I would also add some pectic enzyme when adding any fruit.

I have seen this done with Apples also. The Cyser with the apples in fact won at the California State fair. I believe he left the apples on the lees for 6 months. Anyway this is the newest method for getting the best flavor from your must. The yeast to use for this is Lalvin D47. Hope this helped give you a bit of direction. Either way is okay but I try the new stuff to see if there is a difference. Sometimes great and other time not a big change.
:mug:

Back