Bottling and carbonation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoatmanTom

Reaction score
This my first time bottling cider. I started out with two gallons of store bought apple cider After the primary fermentaion with semi sweet yeast, I then racked to a secondary for clearing. After another week, I decided to bottle it in to 12 oz plastic soda bottles. I decided to use plastic until I get my method fine tuned then turn to glass. I don't want any bombs. I put 1 tsp of cane sugar in first to prime, then filled it with cider. I did this in the morning around 9. Put them in the fridge and so far nothing, no pressure.
I think I killed my yeast. First, I added 7 cinnamon sticks and 2 TBS of whole clove into the secondary. Second, I should have kept them at room temperture until they firmed up. At that point either stove top pasterize or cold crash.
What can I do to get them to carbonize?

Thanks,
Tom

They need to be at room temp to carbonate. they may eventually carbonate in the fridge, but it may take a year. You probably didn't kill your yeast; just put them to sleep. Bring your bottles out of the fridge, and in a day of two give them a gentle swirl or roll them back and forth on the counter to rouse the yeast. Give them a week of two and you should find your bottles firming up.

Back