Growing my own hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
I'd like to start growing my own hops. I understand I need a trellis, which I plan on building once the spring gets here. I don't think I'll need too many hops, but would like something that can supply enough hops for 10+ batches of english brown ales (which I've developed a fondness for).

When, where, and how many rhizomes would I need and when should I plant them (I live in NC). Also, how much space should I set aside in my garden for the hop plants? How high should I build the trellises?

When... ground thaws and the danger of frost has passed. Where...somewhere with a lot of sun and space. How many...depends on your recipe but you'll use something like 4 times as many whole hops as you would pellets. Your first year crops will be less than normal as the root structure building takes most of the energy in the first year.

For what you are talking about, I am going to say 10 or so plants.

First few years will be meager, bugs may get some, if after 4 years you have too many, that is a good problem to have!

Hops grow like weeds! I have a dozen plants on my back fence. It provides me with more than I need and gave away a lot last year.

Back