Anyone have a Tru Temp 3518 Dig. Thermometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This one?

taylor3518Large.jpg

I did the silicon tubing waterproofing thing found here;

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=26905

And that part seems fine. BUT how the heck do you turn the darn thing off?? There's no on/off button....Do I have to take the battery out everytime I'm done using it?

There's nothing in the instruction that talks about holding any buttons down to turn off...

grrrr.

No worries about it staying on 24/7 as that 1.5 volt AAA battery will last for a year. Pressint the CLEAR/ALARM OFF button when it goes off will greatly extend battery life as the alarm takes a lot more energy than the LCD. It should qiut sounding after one minute when a set temp has been reached.

Stay away from that crap.

Mine just ruined a batch: the alarm does not work properly. If the moon phase is wrong, the thermometer does not alert you and instead just turns itself off. The batteries are doing fine, I checked that. It's the thermometer that is broken.

I had another manual tru temp thermometer that would always black out if the steam from the pot was too much (usually around 70 degrees C).

Stay away from Tru temp.

Yeah, I've long since given up on the whole digital thermometer thing. It's been 2 years since I posted that and I've come to realize that the only onces that work are the ones on here mentioned elsewhere, and beyond my price range. For the last two years I've been using these 12" glass "scientific" thermometers;

thermometer%20glass.JPG

They are about 5 bucks at every homebrew shop, accurate as all get out, and have a nice little hole on the top that you can fit through the end of a coat-hanger hook and hang from the side of a kettle.

I've been using it pretty much for everything. In fact since I was brewing 2 batches at the same time today, I ran out and got a second one.

Back