making double batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iguana

Reaction score
I am thinking of making a double batch of one of those kit brews just for the hell of it but I'm unsure about a few things....

Should I mix in the water after the boil before i put it in one big fermenter or should i use 2 fermenters and just put half the wort in on and half in the other then top those off to 5 gallons?

Or is making a double batch not a good idea?

Unless you have a 12 or 13 gallon carboy, I think you are going to HAVE to use two fermenters. :D

If your cooking pot is large enough, then just make one double-batch of wort (all of the stuff from both kits plus 4 gallons of water) and put half of it in each fermenter and top both of them off with water.

-walker

I did 10 gallons of wheat yesterday. I put into 2 fermenters. Did the best I could at making sure they had the same amount from brew pot then added about half gallon of water that I had already boiled to each to get my 5.5 gallons. Both are burping away. It really didn't take any longer to brew 10 then it does to do 5. Good luck

Walker said:
Unless you have a 12 or 13 gallon carboy, I think you are going to HAVE to use two fermenters. :D

If your cooking pot is large enough, then just make one double-batch of wort (all of the stuff from both kits plus 4 gallons of water) and put half of it in each fermenter and top both of them off with water.

-walker

I used one of those turkey frier setups last night and that worked pretty well. but the wort only used bout about a 1/4 to 1/3 of it. It seemed so empty i thought i could put another batch in there.

yea, I've never seen a big ass carboy before either. plus, that would be one heavy SOB. lol.

I'll have to do the double carboy then.

Walker said:
i hope you have a lot of empty bottles ready to go!

LOL...yea, i have a couple hundred. but I do need to clean them good. they've been sitting for a long while.

Back