Question with a small yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snevey

Reaction score
I have an LD Carlson 2 oz bag of "Yeast Starter" which is probably just 2 oz of extra light DME. I have a one liter flask/beaker and no stir plate. I'll make due for now without a stir plate (waiting for my stir bar).

But, what I'm wandering is if this info is correct:

need a gravity of 1.040

Beer Smith says:

.14 gal (2.24 cups)
2 OZ of DME

Does this sound alright? I'm pitching White Labs California Ale WLP00

Any info you have will be appreciated!!! BeerSmith never lies, right? :)

Not exactly sure what you're saying but you need a half cup of DME to 2 cups water. Don't know what that comes out to in oz's.

Not exactly sure what you're saying but you need a half cup of DME to 2 cups water. Don't know what that comes out to in oz's.

I don't know what 2 oz of DME works out to be in cups... I'll see if I can measure that out though!

I think 2 oz. DME works. It might be slightly short of the usual proportions.

I've never figured out the weight to volume ratio of DME myself, but seen people say ~4 cups per pound. That would mean 1/2 cup (which is about what you need for 2+ cups) is roughly 2 oz.

I'm not sure on the conversion either but that sounds good to me ha. I'll consult "how to brew" later. Palmer will know!

I put the 2 OZ of DME in a 1/2 dry measuring cup and it was a little shy of the top. 2.5 OZ would probably be a 1/2 cup. I'll take that. It should still wake up the yeasties to pitch tomorrow night, Saturday night, or Sunday afternoon. We'll see how it looks as those days come around...

Back