Pitched yeast at 86F - oops - fermentation started 6-7 hours later

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGB

Reaction score
I accidentally pitched my yeast on my 2nd batch (apa) at 86f. Much higher than optimal. Fermentation kicked off fine about 6-7 hours later and the primary is stored at 69f. Will I notice a taste difference?

The worst part... I can't RDWHAHB yet :) but I'm ok... Got plenty of Grolsch and Fischer on hand.

If it reached 69F before the fermentation started, it will probably be okay. Don't forget, the wort will be a couple degrees warmer than ambient and that might be too much. If you can bring it down to 65F, you'll be safe.

If you're doing partial boils, putting your top up water in the fridge the night before really helps to get those temps right down.

+1 what David said. You're probably OK, but would be better if you can edge the temp down a few more degrees.

Your process will continue to improve with every mistake you make. Mistakes are the universe's way of teaching you the right way to do things.
RDWHAHB
-Jefe-

Thanks all for the tips and encouragement. The primary is sitting at 66F right now. When I'm done I'll put a few bottles aside for a taste test after I get it right.

I'm curious what the esters will do to the taste. I might actually like it.

You're fine. A few hours of 86 degrees won't make a difference. It will cool and you'll be fermenting for many many days at the correct temp.

This wont be a problem, the last beer I made i pitched at mid 80's and worried about it throughout fermentation, when everything was finished, I didn't notice any off flavors.

I would keep it in the primary for an extra week to help the yeast absorb any yucky stuff they can, unless you already let your primaries go for 3 weeks or so.
Just a thought.

86 isn't bad for yeast. Bread bakers pitch at higher temps. 86 (anything above 75) is an oxidation problem. 86 is also good for all the nasty microbes.

When your wort is below 75, all the stirring and splashing for aeration does not oxidize the beer, just oxygenates it. I don't know if you stirred, sloshed, etc. at 86, or if you waited until the wort was cooler.

Oh dang.. I dumped the batch... Just Kidding.

It's a learning process and "I can save this beer!" I also have a high tolerance for nasty beer (especially if it's my own creation... oh the pride factor).

I "Sloshed it" (rocked the bucket for about 2 minutes). My temp at that time was probably at about 80F or less.

I'll keep it in the primary for 2 weeks or more instead of the 1 week I had planned.

Finally I think i have the temperature situation under control... just in time for a TX summer.

I bought a 14.4 Cu/ft Chest Freezer and hooked up a Johnson Controls A19 and now I'm locked at 64-68F. WOOOOOT!

/Users/jimgalu/Downloads/photo.jpg

Finally I think i have the temperature situation under control... just in time for a TX summer.

I bought a 14.4 Cu/ft Chest Freezer and hooked up a Johnson Controls A19 and now I'm locked at 64-68F. WOOOOOT!

/Users/jimgalu/Downloads/photo.jpg

Are there cheaper ways to ensure good fermenting temps in the summer? Im in northern NY, so my house sits at around 63 or so wihtout the heat so no issue wiht this batch...but in the summer, how much of a difference will moving the beer to my basement and covering it actually accomplish?

it may be slightly imperfect but seriously dont worry about it. Give it a little longer in primary and try get the temp down and the esters will fade with time. It will make about 1% difference IMO (thats not based on any real maths, just the fact that its not the end of the world you think it may be :D)

@Indeedproceed I was born and raised in upstate NY and now that I'm brewing I wish I had the stable temperatures of the house that I grew up in. In TX it's a totally different story. The saying goes: "If you don't like the weather in TX, just wait 10 minutes"

Case in point: Last weekend we had about 3" of snow. Today it was about 70F outside. The weather is crazy here. NY is much more stable as far as temperature goes.

@Pommy i'm ok with slightly imperfect beer for my first batch. That way I have somewhere to grow. Thanks!

No worries mate, its nice to be able to control temps so as to get the best out of the yeast but if you cant then just do what you can and the brew will still come out good, in some cases you could recreate a beer and find that it is lacking something when keeping perfect temps. Do your research and find the beers that suit your set up and try your favourite styles too. Learn what you like and what you dont because there is no textbook on what tastes good for everyone. Enjoy brewing, after all thats the whole point of it :)

I did just about the same thing with my APA (currently 6 days in bottles). The only difference is that I did it on purpose. I thought I read somewhere that I was supposed to pitch at a higher temperature to kick of fermentation faster. I tried a beer after 4 days in bottles and it wasn't bad. It was on the fruity side, but I am not sure if that is from a hotter fermentation or if it is still green. Either way, I was ready to drink another, so I know that in a few weeks, they will be good enough for me. I just learned my lesson and my beer will just get better from now on.

Good luck and I hope that your beer turns out good. I am sure it will.

Are there cheaper ways to ensure good fermenting temps in the summer? Im in northern NY, so my house sits at around 63 or so wihtout the heat so no issue wiht this batch...but in the summer, how much of a difference will moving the beer to my basement and covering it actually accomplish?

If you put the fermentor in the basement right on the concrete slab, it will act as a heat sink and keep the temperature plenty low. I am in northeastern MA, and I have even had the temperature get too low in the summer with the fermentor on the slab. In that case, just raise it up somehow (e.g., put stack it on a bucket), provide a little heat, or both.

Here is the solution to my TX heat problems. Next batch should be ester worry free.
showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

In summers here in NM I just throw my beers in my bathtub with water and stock the freezer with frozen 2l bottles that I cycle through the tub. This dosent give me huge control of temps but it works. This summer I am going to get a cheap fridge off CS

Back