Designing my herms system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splobucket

Reaction score
Hello all. I've decided to start designing my own HERMS system, and I've thrown together a schematic. Eventually I'm going to need some assistance specifying different parts, but for now I'd just really like y'alls input. Am I missing anything major?

The photo is located on my twitpic account at http://twitpic.com/vqbe6.

The general idea is that I have my mash continuously circulating through my bypass, then when my temperature controller deems it necessary, switches flow to the copper coil in the hot liquor tank. When all is done, and lautered. The water from the hot liquor tank can be used for sparging. Again, is there anything major missing? I plan to continue to use my 10 gallon igloo cooler as my mash/lauter tun, and a keg for my hot liquor tank.

Don't know Herms, but can help post the pic.
53295918.jpg

I'm not 100% on this. I've not used my pump yet, but my question would be about how the pump would handle the switching of it's output. Would that break flow and cause the need for repriming?

Back