How to secure raised BIAB bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutty_gnome

Reaction score
I am working on BIAB without a strainer basket in my 10 gallon kettle.

Once you pull the bag from the vessel. how do you secure it over the kettle so it may drain? I have a nice BIAB bag' It has a drawcord, but I don't think I want to hang the bag from the drawstring. Is there a method people use to hang these bags from a hook that isn't detrimental to the bag? Pictures would be appreciated. Thanks!

Once you pull the bag from the vessel. how do you secure it over the kettle so it may drain? I have a nice BIAB bag' It has a drawcord, but I don't think I want to hang the bag from the drawstring. Is there a method people use to hang these bags from a hook that isn't detrimental to the bag? Pictures would be appreciated. Thanks!

Either put a bbq grate over the top of the kettle and sit the bag on that, or use a strainer basket on top of a pail.

Strainer basket and pail works great. I don't think you could make any sort of contraption for any less.

A grate over the kettle is good, but I like being able to really push down on the bag to get out lots of liquid. I wouldn't trust doing that ontop of a full kettle.

When I was doing BIAB in my kitchen I would transfer the bag to an old fermenter bucket and then wire the bag to a kitchen cupboard handle and let it drain and sparge with a pot of hot water. Then I took two bowls and used them to shield my hands from the heat while I squeezed the grains to get all the good stuff out

.... Is there a method people use to hang these bags from a hook that isn't detrimental to the bag? ...

Gather the top of the bag together and secure with a length of cord/rope and a miller's knot (google for it). Tie the other end of the cord/rope to the hook.

That's why having a BIAB bag with handles sewn on it is really nice. I brew on my back porch so I screwed a stainless eye-bolt into the joist above so I can rig up a rope and pulley. I just take a big carabiner and clip all the handles together and then haul out the bag. I took a plastic bucket and drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom which I place inside a 2nd bucket and then lower the bag into that to drain.

If you can get handles sewn into your bag that would be a good option, otherwise I would use the millers knot or just make a loop of rope and use a cinch knot around the gathered top of the bag.

I have one of those stainless colanders that can expand to fit over your sink, it holds my bag well (hehe) up to about 13lbs of grain. Past that it overflows the sides and I can't leave it there reliably or squeeze it well. I also don't push down on my bag but force twist the sweet wort out.

I use Alton Brown's Turkey fryer set up:

!stand.jpg

^ that is an excellent idea.

I do the strainer on top of bucket way but can't find a strainer strong enough to not fall into the bucket when pressed on. I need a better solution so I'm wondering what other options are out there.

^ that is an excellent idea.

I do the strainer on top of bucket way but can't find a strainer strong enough to not fall into the bucket when pressed on. I need a better solution so I'm wondering what other options are out there.

cookie rack

or, if that's not strong enough

oven rack

I found that I had a metal wire rack that used to be in my fermentation fridge. It is the perfect size to span the kettle. I'm brewing today so I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for the advice! - N_G

I use a metal oven rack and put bag inside homer bucket with holes drilled in bottom. I use the bucket b/c i made a doppelbock with 22 lbs of grain and the bag spilled over the sides of the pot getting wort all over the pot and burner.

I drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom of an old fermentation bucket and place the bag in that bucket then place it over an old pot to let it drain down into it..... I also throw all fears of tannins aside and place another bucket over the bag and press the heck out of it to get all the wort out that I can *gasp* ... never had a problem!

I pressed it against the grate over the kettle and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. I am always shocked at how slippery hot wort is.

Latest posts

Back