stronger cream of 3 crops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepaholic

Reaction score
I made a little stronger version of cream of 3 crops a couple of nights ago.

Here is what I used.

7 pounds of 2 row
2 pounds of flaked rice
2 pounds of flaked corn
1 pound of white sugar
1 heaping table spoon of yeast nutrient.

I had a OG of 1.062

I used US-05 for the yeast.

The only reason the sugar was added is because it was the first time I have ever drunk home brews while brewing and I had a few too many.

Any idea what this will be like? If it ferments down to 1.005 like last time it will be over 7% ABV. I will know in a few weeks but I have quite a few people looking forward to this batch that liked the last one and I don't want to disappoint.

Thanks,
Marcus

No, I didn't use any sugar last time but with the corn and rice it really goes low. Plus I had 2 pounds less grain.

Have you thought about adding 4-8 oz of carapils so that this has some body to balance the higher ABV%? I am not sure if this additional sugar might give a this a thin taste instead of a lighter taste. If you are kegging this you could omit any carapils and add some maltodextrine powder (if needed for some body) to the keg after the beer hase been carbonated.

I have been thinking about it and I think i will leave it alone and use this as a learning experience. I'm just going to call this my "platinum" cream ale. I'm really excited to see how it turns out.

Thanks

If you really want to make it strong, add some beano or AA to the batch when its done fermenting. It will really dry it out, like a lite beer.

I don't mean to dig up a zombie thread but I wanted to give a update now that the bottles are ready to drink.

This batch is better than the last. It came in at a F.G. of 1.000. It's crisp clean and dry with less corn flavor than the last batch, the amazing thing is that there is little to no hint of the alcohol to the flavor. At almost 8% it is fun to watch people drink it.

I don't mean to dig up a zombie thread but I wanted to give a update now that the bottles are ready to drink.

This batch is better than the last. It came in at a F.G. of 1.000. It's crisp clean and dry with less corn flavor than the last batch, the amazing thing is that there is little to no hint of the alcohol to the flavor. At almost 8% it is fun to watch people drink it.

Good to see that you revived this thread because now I know my next big brew to do. I am thinking about substituting some 6 row for the cane sugar. I have never been able to use cane sugar well in my brewing as a fermentable w/o a cider taste.

Good to see that you revived this thread because now I know my next big brew to do. I am thinking about substituting some 6 row for the cane sugar. I have never been able to use cane sugar well in my brewing as a fermentable w/o a cider taste.

It is worth mentioning that when I saw the OG I pitched 2 packs of US-05, a large heaping scoop of yeast nutrient and I fermented at about 65. I really would try to keep the sugar to no more than a pound especially with the corn and rice. if there is any cidery flavor there isn't much to cover it up.

Back