Kilju

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnaggerMan

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone here ever brewed kilju? It´s a traditional Finnish alcoholic beverage, usually known as sugar wine outside Finland. It can also be distilled to make pontikka(moonshine), but I usually drink it.

You just need sugar, water and yeast to make it. Now, you may think it must be horrible, but if you really know how to make it right and clarify it after fermentation, it can actually be damn good. So, this is my recipe for 1 liter of kilju:

1 liter of water
1,5-2 deciliters of sugar
2 teaspoons of bakers yeast or turbo yeast(I prefer turbo).

Mix those ingredients in a bottle and let it ferment. You must open the cap sometimes, if you don´t use an airlock. If you dont open the cap sometimes, or don´t use an airlock, the bottle may explode.

So you could mix this with a fruit juice or any other type of juice for the alcohol party punch...from your recipe just what is the ABV% Cheers

Yes, you can mix it with orange juice or something. With bakers yeast there will be alcohol something like 12-13% and with turbo yeast about 14-17%.

This is commonly called alco-base on my side of the pond, as far as I can tell. It's used to make a not-so-tasty alcoholic fluid to mix with party punch and the like. I've made it using turbo yeast and at 14% ABV I can make a 4-5% "hard" lemonade for hot days at essentially the cost of the lemonade.

I figure it was worth doing once, and mixed 50/50 with lemonade and force-carbonated in a keg it would be worth doing again I think.

Back