First time brewer with Celiac, trying to brew Gluten Free

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurpinator

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

First off, I just want to say thanks to all the experienced posters here, even though I am brewing GF, I can apply most info on here to my brewing still.

Now, I am 3 days in, and I have a GF beer in primary that I made with mostly Sorghum but also some honey from a local company here. I would like to hear from anyone else who is experimenting with GF brewing, or has some experience with it. Also, if anyone has any questions about my experiments, you can ask me. (Obviously, I'm only 3 days in so give it some time.) I will keep you all updated on how this turns out. :mug:

I have a friend who just got diagnosed with celiacs. He's bummed because he loves beer.

I'm tempted to come up with a corn/rice only grain bill and see if I can't brew something that comes close to a light lager.

I have to beleive that 4# each of corn and rice along with a butt load of rice hulls would yield a decent wort. Some galena hops up front for a nice 16-18 IBU clean bittered beer?

I got diagnosed in about January, and I had just gotten back from a trip to England, Czech Republic, and Southern Germany (Bavaria), and I had so many good beers between those three places, so I was super bummed. The bright side is it gave me a passion to brew..

Has anyone on the board tried malting sorghum and making specialty grains? I'm not celiac myself, but the lack of roasted & toasted malts would really limit your styles, so this seems like the logical thing to do.

Lurp - please post or PM your results. When my 18 year old nephew turns 21, I am on the hook to make him some gluten free beer, and I will be interested in any lessons you learn. Good luck.

I am now on my 6th day in primary, still having bubbles every 10 seconds or so, but my friend pointed out that the smell coming out of the airlock has kind of a winey quality to it. Input would be appreciated.

Back