Mixing Crystal grains and syrup to dry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PUD

Reaction score
i'm about to do a porter recipe that i changed up a little. the recipe called for a pound of 40L crystal. i ordered half a pound of 60L and half a pound of 40L when i meant to order just 60L. is it common to mix these grains? what kinda of outcome should i expect?

i also wanted to use dryed malt extract intead of liquid. what would be the conversion from 3.3lbs of liquid malt extract?

So you meant to order a pound of 60L? and got a half pound each of 60 and 40? No sweat my friend. Your brew may be a little lighter than you thought, but I'll bet you can't tell. It may have a lighter flavor than you wanted, but you won't notice that either.

Yes, mixing grains for steeping is common. I can't speak to specialty grains in AG brewing....yet

The mixture of crystals will typically give you a more complex flavor.
2.7lbs of DME.

As a side note, I hope that you're either doing a smaller than 5 gallon batch, or else including more malt extract than that. If not you will have a starting gravity of about 1.024 (and therefore an alcohol percent hovering around 2%). Also I hope there are some other steeping grains in there, a bit of chocolate and some black patent.

i'm doing a countertop partial mash from one of the byo articles. so i have 2lbs of two base malts. the recipe calls for both liquid and dry extract but i just wanted to use dry for the extract half. i also have different hops, i was planning on using tettang and cascade. i just have an abundance of these as well as centennial, amarilllo, magnum and simcoe.

here's the recipe i was going off of.

Colby House Porter
(5 gallon/19 L, partial mash)
OG = 1.048 FG = 1.011
IBU = 44 SRM = 58 ABV = 4.8%
This is my house ale, converted to the countertop partial mashing procedure. 48% of the extract weight — the amount of fermentable and non-fermentable sugars that contribute to the original gravity (OG) of the beer — comes from the mini-mash.

Ingredients
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) 2-row pale ale malt (Maris Otter)
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) Munich malt
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) crystal malt (40 °L)
7.0 oz. (0.20 kg) chocolate malt
6.0 oz. (0.17 kg) black patent malt
3.0 oz. (85 g) roasted barley (500 °L)
6.0 oz. (0.17 kg) Muntons Light dried malt extract
3.3 lbs. (1.5 kg) Muntons Light liquid malt extract
(late addition)
12 fl. oz. (355 mL) molasses (15 mins)
1 tsp. Irish moss (15 mins)
11 AAU Northern Brewer hops (60 mins)
(1.2 oz./35 g of 9% alpha acids)
1.25 AAU Fuggles hops (15 mins)
(0.25 oz./7.1 g of 5% alpha acids)
Wyeast 1968 (London ESB) or White Labs WLP002
(English Ale) yeast (1 qt./~1 L yeast starter)
7/8 cup corn sugar (for priming)

I wouldn't use Cascades in a porter. With what you have, I'd use Magnum for bittering and Simcoe or Tettnanger for flavor.

Since most of your color comes from the heavily roasted grains, the mix of 40L & 60L won't change much at all.

The roasted barley might push it into the stout arena, but it sounds like a good beer. Davids right about the hops, although I do like a little C hop flavor in my porter.

had about three pints now, off the tap. it's definitly got a molasses smell and flavor. i'm enjoying it. i did 1 week primary 1 secondary and force carbed at 12psi for a week and a half. if i conditioned it longer would it mellow out the molasses taste?

went with magnum bittering and simcoe for the aroma. must say it's a yummie brew.

Back