My Craft Beer Hit List!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beer#31 - Three Philosophers - Ommegang

image-1741611859.jpg

Beer#32 - Double Milk Stout - Southern Tier

Very dark brown pour with good carbonation that leaves a nice creamy tan head and a decent lacing all the way down the glass. Roasty, dark chocolate, caramel tones in the smell. Medium bodied and good silky mouthfeel. Malty and mildly bitter chocolate sweetness upfront, milk chocolate mid palate, and a subtle caramel finish. Not cloyingly sweet or intensely bitter. Good milk stout.
My Grade - B+

image-3474834658.jpg

Beer#33 Easy Rider Session Ale - Terrapin

Golden color, nicely carbed but not very heady. Leaves little to no lacing. Dry and crisp. Balanced citrusy grapefruit and malt aroma. Tastes like it smells but slightly more hoppy. Real nice session beer. My Grade - A

image-3847283332.jpg

Are you familiar with the Untapped app? It would be a lot easier to continually update, and you can track where you drank it, the total # of each beer you have drank, etc.

It is pretty handy for logging beers. It is kind of like a beer nerd facebook--you can add your friends, see what others are having and where, etc. You can add pictures also.

Beer#34 - Bigfoot (aged 5 years) - Sierra Nevada

Im drinking this with Sierra Nevadas reps right now at a beet dinner and its incredibly amazing!!!!!! Nice bubbly pour with an off white head. Good lacing and beautiful copper color. Raisin and sherry tones. The taste is unbelievable. Very complex on the palate, nice long raisin like finish. Words just don't describe.

My Grade - A++

Beer #35 - Hoptical Illusion - Blue Point

Pours a golden color with a nice frothy white head. Big floral, citrusy, slightly resiny hop aroma. Good level of bitterness....not too strong, but not too subtle, just right. Piney, floral, lightly malty backbone. Fairly dry and crisp. Good session IPA. Also tastes great mixed 50/50 with either Woodchuck's/Magners Pear ciders or Angry Orchard Ginger.

My Grade - A

image-236361116.jpg

Beer #36 - Turbo Dog - Abita

Chocolate brown with hues of amber. F
oamy pour with a creamy tan head that lasts and leaves a nice lacing. Very rich malty Aroma with tones of chocolate and caramel coffee. Malty,Mild chocolate, and toasty on the front of the pallet, coffee like mid pallet, and a sweet chocolate finish. Really nice brown ale.

My Grade - A.

image-566714893.jpg

Beer #37 -Oak aged Scottish ale- Innis and Gunn

Nice frothy pour with an off white head that takes it time mellowing down. Sweet malty aroma with subtle hints of vanilla and oak, though notes of toffee and caramel come through as the beer warms. The label pretty much calls it on the flavor. The taste is very malty with vanilla and oak in the background, and toffee in the finish. Body is pretty light but not too dry.

My Grade - A

image-4271217844.jpg

Beer #40 - Bitches Brew - Dogfish Head

Very, very, dark on the pour with a small one finger head thats a tannish beige and quickly fades. Roasty chocolately aroma with an of maple syrup. Dark chocolate and a touch of dark fruit up front, a little nuttiness mid palate, and a smooth chocolate fudge with tones of caramel. Kind of light bodied for a stout and not a lot of mouth feel or lacing. But packed full of flavor!!!

My Grade - A-

image-1850419910.jpg

I am drinking bitches brew as well I don't get the maple I get a decent amount of honey. Not as heavy as thought it would be. Solid beer

The only reason I can spot the maple is because I've used it a number of times in my brews. It doesn't smell or taste like maple normally does. Its more of a subtle almost wine or sherry like aroma that's kind of hard to explain. Though, everyone's different so everyone has a different experience.

Can't say I have had a beer with maple in it but do have maple syrup from Vermont was thinking of doing a triple with maple syrup instead of sugar. Keep them coming liking the reviews.

turvis said:
Can't say I have had a beer with maple in it but do have maple syrup from Vermont was thinking of doing a triple with maple syrup instead of sugar. Keep them coming liking the reviews.

Thanks!!! That's actually what I use. Pure grade B Vermont maple syrup. A # increases your OG by about .01

Beer #41 - Tumbler - Sierra Nevada

Rough pour opens up very fluffy light cream colored head that takes its time fading back down leaving a decent lacing. Copper with tints of red in color. The aroma is malty and roasty. Tastes like it smells with a coffee-like roastiness up front and a subtle touch of cocoa, nuttiness, and honey in the finish. Light to medium body.

My Grade - B

Beer #42 - Monk In The Trunk Organic Amber- Inlet

Nice copper color with a off white one finger head and decent lacing. Malty aroma with a mild sourness in the background. Nothing unpleasant though. Taste is malty, toasty and bready, slightly chewy mouthfeel. Not a very long finish. Overall a decent simple session beer. Not extraordinary but not bad either by any means.

My grade - B

image-1434958518.jpg

Beer #43 - Long Hammer IPA- Redhook

A hearty rough pour builds up a frothy clean white head that slowly falls leaving a nice lacing. The color is yellow-gold and is fairly cloudy. The aroma is piney and resiny up front with a little citrus and malt in the background. Not a lot of flavor the second the beer hits the tongue but the mid palate is piney. The finish is piney with a grapefruit-like citrus note that lingers on the back of the tongue. Crisp and pretty dry this IPA isnt bringing much to the table as far as body goes. All in all, I like the flavors and aroma I just wish the hops popped a bit more and had more of a in your face presence that I like in my IPAs.

My Grade - B

0.jpeg

Review #44 - Zombie Killer Cherry Cyser- by B Nektar Meadery

Tonight's review is something special. While the rest of the list is beer this review is a Cyser, and one that's really popular down here with the craft lovers. So here we go....

Pours a rose like pinkish red color that looks similar to watered down ruby red grapefruit juice. Very carbed and crisp. Apples and a touch of honey and cherry on the nose. Cidery taste up front and golden apples mid palate. Long finish of cherries and honey that lingers on the back of the tongue in between sips. Not too dry, no tang or bitterness, and no vinegar notes. Smooth and delicious sip after sip!!!

My Grade - A+

image-1076975280.jpg

Beer #45 - Swamp Ape IPA - Florida Beer Co.

It's always nice getting to drink a craft. It's usually better when it's brewed in the state you live in. Today's review starts out with a rough pour light orange in color opening up an off white head the size of a finger or two. The head quickly recedes leaving a good lacing on the glass. The nose is resin piney and almost spanish cedar-like, grassy, earthy, and has a touch of citrus. The flavor starts with a big hoppy punch that tastes like bitter orange peel and a piney resinous. The mid palate I pick up what seems like some Belgian candi sugar that's followed by a subtle underlying toasty biscuit malt character. The finish is more of the piney resinous flavor. Body is medium but dry making for a nice crispness. Overall for being a 10abv beer there isn't much heat or heavy alcoholic flavor. Though I do taste and smell some medicinal off notes. I have had this beer before and didn't notice these medicinal subtleties so I don't know why I taste it in this one.

My Grade - B

image-1264670707.jpg

Beer #46 - Horizon Red Ale - Summit Brewing Co

I usually pour pretty ruff but this is one heady beer. An easy pour makes a 3 to 4 finger head that's off white in color. Great lacing all the way down the glass. Resiny, slightly spicy, and floral aroma with a touch of malt backing it all up. The taste is hoppy following the same profile with a touch of citrus and a light malty background. Though as the warms a bit the balance gets much better bringing out the malt a lot more. Really good body, its a decently filling beer. Overall I thought this was a really good beer and example of the style.

My Grade - A

image-3347107603.jpg

Beer #47 - Dead Guy - Rogue

This one is pretty much a staple in the craft brew scene at this point. It delivers quality every time I've had one and to boot, you can bottle harvest the yeast. An easy pour leaves a nice off white 2-3 finger head atop a golden orange brew that doesn't leave much lacing. It has a nice aroma of honey and maltiness with light hoppy notes in the background. The flavor is similar to the aroma with a nice even bitterness to back it up and some orange citrus like flavors in the finish. The carbonation is nice and while light, the beer has some body to it. All around incredible balance makes this a very great session beer or pairing for dinner.

My Grade - A

image-4083521881.jpg

A lot of these selections with high reviews are just too sweet for me to be enjoyable. And I found the Innis and Gunn beer to be absolutely horrid. That's the thing about reviews... They're extremely personal and suit the tastes of the reviewer. One man's gold can easily be another man's garbage. Bulk reviews help somewhat with that dilemma, like those on Beeradvocate.

bobbrews said:
A lot of these selections with high reviews are just too sweet for me to be enjoyable. And I found the Innis and Gunn beer to be absolutely horrid. That's the thing about reviews... They're extremely personal and suit the tastes of the reviewer. One man's gold can easily be another man's garbage. Bulk reviews help somewhat with that dilemma, like those on Beeradvocate.

I agree, taste is extremely subjective and preference is another huge factor altogether. If you find our palate and preferences are similar these reviews may be helpful or informative. If not, they probably don't do much for you at all. Personally I like to do it to log all the different crafts I drink and to practice developing a better more refined palate.

So I've quite remiss lately being busy with friends family and cigars. So I'm going to do multiple reviews tonight to make up for it.

Beer #48 - Jose Marti American Porter- Cigar City

First off I must say I'm a big fan of Cigar City Brewing. Most everything they put out I've found awesome. IMO, they're one of the best breweries in the game right now. Now to the review....

Medium rough pour unleashes a nice fluffy 3 finger peanut colored head. It hangs around taking its time retreating back down and notching the glass with lacing after every sip. The aroma smells of roast coffee, dark chocolate, and a mild balancing fruity citrus tone. Flavor is incredible smooth, you'd never know this was an 8% brew by the taste or aroma. Mild hoppiness on the front palate that provides great balance to fruity bitter chocolate like flavors mid palate. The finish is bitter but smooth with notes of caramel, roast coffee, dark chocolate, and a intermingling hop bitterness. The flavors really balance and play off each other incredibly well. Medium bodied with a pretty crisp finish. Overall a really great beer everyone should try if you see it.

My Grade - A

image-1067395110.jpg

Beer #49 - Dugana IPA - Avery

Dark gold in color with a nice off white 2 finger head. Great lacing down the whole glass. Aroma if floral, citrusy, with notes of sweet tropical fruit. Flavor is strong taste of mandarin oranges, tangerines, grapefruit, with a mildly floral resiny finish and a slight heat in the background that's hardly noticeable. Medium bodied but still crisp. All around a phenomenal beer and a great example of the style.

My Grade - A+

bobbrews said:

Agreed, but this mans passion for good beers should not be void. Would love to get my hands on a few that he had. Each to there own, but we all have the passion for a good ale/beer/lager. Keep them coming sir.

EnjoyGoodBeer said:
Agreed, but this mans passion for good beers should not be void. Would love to get my hands on a few that he had. Each to there own, but we all have the passion for a good ale/beer/lager. Keep them coming sir.

Thanks a ton and will do!!!!

Beer #50 - Lucky Basartd - Stone Brewing

Pours a nice copper color with a frothy light tan head that fades slowly leaving a nice lacing. Aroma is a soft resin pine like character with a nice malty backbone. Also some subtle notes of sugar and maple. Not very aromatic though. Very complex taste with a lot of flavors going on. Sweet maltiness, caramel, syrup, and brown sugar on the front palate. Light roast coffee and maple mid palate, and a smooth piney bitterness that rounds out the flavors quite nicely on the finish. Also some flavors that taste almost like citrus pith intermingled with the resinous flavors. Medium bodied with a great mouthfeel that coats the mouth. No alcoholic notes, very smooth, and very complex.

My Grade - A

image-3329942857.jpg

Beer #51 - Wake n Bake Coffee Oatmeal Stout - Terrapin

This stuff pours almost a dark black out of the bottle opening up a dark caramel colored 2-3 finger head. The head fades down pretty quick leaving awesome stained glass lacing. Aroma is very strong smelling of roast coffee, more coffee, and a touch of chocolate, then more dark coffee. Tastes incredible with a nice silky mouthfeel. Heavy fresh roasted mocha coffee interwoven with creamy chocolate, caramel, and hints of vanilla that go in and out. There's also a slight bitterness you get from a fresh cup of joe. Not unpleasant at all, it actually balances well with the malty sweetness. Without reading it, you wouldn't know this beer was 8abv as there's no heat or alcohol taste. It's completely masked by wonderfully rich and roasty flavors. This beer is by far one of my favorite stouts. If you haven't tried it yet you need to!!! And stock up because they only release it this time of year. Happy New Year, I hope it's a good one for everybody!

My Grade - A+

Figured I'd add... if your a cigar smoker that enjoys full bodied, roasty, chocolatey, maduro wrapped smokes. This is the ultimate drink pairing!!!
image-4133069781.jpg

Beer #52 - Double Stout Black Ale - Green Flash

If you like a rough pour like myself ease up on this one. Well carbed, pitch black body, explodes into a thick froth that makes a head 1/4 of the glass that's peanut colored. Great retention, it just hangs out until you move in for a sip. As it slowly fades it leaves a ton of lacing, this beer is sticky. Immediately I get a big whiff of black patent and dark fruit followed by roast coffee and dark chocolate. Semi sweet chocolate and dark fruit jump out on the front palate. Backed up by a long and smooth caramel, nutty, roast coffee, and chocolate fudge finish. Pretty complex. The body and mouthfeel are a bit thin. Which is surprising, from the pour I thought I was going to chew my way to the bottom of the pint. Then again its 8.8abv so that could play a part in it lacking body. Even still its an all around fantastic stout. If it had more body I'd say A+ for sure.

My Grade - A

image-4284079164.jpg

Beer #53 - Florida Cracker Belgian-Style White Ale - Cigar City

So after being sick the past week I'm finally feeling better. And now that I can smell and taste again its time for a beer review. So on to the good stuff...

One of Cigar Citys canned offerings this beer pours a cloudy and light golden straw color with a huge pillowy head true to style. Very well carbonated, and not much if any lacing which is a bit surprising for a wit. Big wheat aroma with hints of coriander and orange. Tastes pretty much the same as it smells. Wheat and saison yeast character on the front palate, coriander and citrusy orange flavors mid palate, and a light bready finish with lingering citrus notes. Fairly dry and crisp with a light body. Overall it's a pretty straight forward Witibier with just a little more pizazz from the yeast.

My Grade - B+

image-327499708.jpg

Back