North Shore Mass chiming in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theKman

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My name is Ken, and I'm a Lowell boy who finds himself in Danvers. I've been lurking the boards for the last week trying to learn as much as I can. I've been enjoying good beer for the last decade or so. Drinking a Belhaven Wee Heavy right now, in fact. I tend to like the malty-er beers, like Scotches or Dunkels. This weekend I'll be buying my first homebrew kit. I think it's kind of appropriate, being National Homebrew Day and all... I'm heading to Strange Brew in Marlboro. Looks like they're planning a nice party there. Two simple question right off the bat:

1. I'm new to the scene, and the brew-fest in Marlboro says BYOB. Since I've never brewed before, is it okay to bring some store-bought brews to enjoy, or is it mostly for home-brews?

2. I'm considering buying a better-bottle carboy for fermentation. The ones with the ports seem like they'd be more convenient, but the way I understand it, I'll need to go from fermentation to a bottling bucket. In that case, is the ported carboy simply to make it easier to rack to the bottling bucket? Or possibly racking directly from the carboy to bottles with a "priming-tab" (sorry, forgot the exact term) instead of priming?

Anyway, looking forward to use the experience of the other members here to help me learn and grow. And I've found the North Shore Brewers website, so I may be joining you guys at a meeting soon.

And I listen to heavy metal. Megadeth, Fear Factory, Suicidal Tendencies, Pantera. Rock on!!!

Oh yeah, and cooking. In the oven, grill, or smoker. Give me some meat.

And I work at a Toyota dealer. Okay, I think that's all. Thanks everyone.

Welcome from another metal listening meat eating masshole. I'd say bring what ever beer you want to the party. As far as the better bottle questions I'll have to let someone else answer that. Bucket fermenter and glass carboy for secondary here. How's the new brew pub up in Danvers? Swmbo and I haven't made it out there yet.

welcome Ken!!

metal huh? I didn't see Maiden in the list. Guess where my screen names gets its origination ... "Two minutes to midnight.."

Well, yesterday was a success. Thanks to the good folks at Strange Brew, I got my equipment and first ingredient kit, and am getting ready to start my first batch, a Glacier Pale Ale. It's mostly an extract kit, but does include 1 lb. of grain for steeping in a muslin bag. Slightly more advanced than I thought my first brew would be, but I'm looking forward to it. Brian was great in getting me set up and answering my n00b questions. Mike and Dave from the WIZARDs Homebrew Club were working an AG brew outside in the cold damp weather, and were also happy to offer some advice.

Now I'm off to sanitizing. Wish me luck! :rockin:

How was the WIZARDS brew day at Strange Brew? I was going to try and make it out, but the weekend got a little too busy...

Welcome to HBT!!!

How was the WIZARDS brew day at Strange Brew? I was going to try and make it out, but the weekend got a little too busy...

Welcome to HBT!!!

Keep in mind this was my first event so I had very little to base an opinion on. The turnout seemed a little smaller than I had expected. That's probably due to the weather conditions. It was drizzling/raining and in the low 50's. Everyone seemed to know each other, so I felt a little like an outsider, but everyone was real friendly and put me at ease pretty quickly. I sampled two homebrews, one which seemed to be a Magic Hat #9 clone, and the other I believe was a vanilla bourbon porter. Both excellent. Strange Brew also had a pear cider on tap that was very tasty. Lots of awards were given out, many to a WIZARDS member named Don who is a dead ringer for actor James Callis (Gaius Baltar on Battlestar Galactica).

BTW- My first brew went well yesterday, and my airlock was already busy this morning. Very exciting!

Hey Ken,
Welcome to HBT and welcome to homebrewing beer. Some of us ahve been doing it a very long time andother are brand new but we're all here for the fun (and the beer) so don't be afraid to jump in. If you have a question, ask? And be sure to go to as many get togethers as possible, it's a great way to meet new friends and pick up new ideas. The best part of this hobby is you can make it as complicated or as simple as you like. (Witness the last Boston Beer Brewday, where Kai was taking notes on the beer he was brewing every five minutes, and I was drinking another beer every five minutes while I brewed. <I wonder where that beer ended up anyways, I should go look for it!> Just kidding, both beers turned out great.)

Paulthenurse

Massholes loving heavy metal and beer.... maybe I should move!

Here's a belated welcome to ya'... good luck with the brewing... I hope it brings you as much joy as it has me.... love it!!

Back