Pasteurise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do you want to pasteurize?

Do you have a kegging setup? Unless you pasteurize in the bottle you'll need to force carbonate.

I have a bit high temp in my storing space (26°C) so I thought it might be smart to pasteurise.
I use bottles only.

As long as the beer is finished fermenting when you bottle it you shouldn't have any problems. 26 C isn't the best temperature for long term storage though!

26° is high I know, that's why I looking for things that can help me out....

akglyd said:
Hove can I pasteurise my beer the easy way?

Put the bottles in the dishwasher?

*just for the record I don't actually recommend this. It's just seems like one of the lazier ways to do this

26C is 78F, which is fine. That's room temperature around these parts.

The beer will age faster at 26C than say 20C or even 10C, but we're not talking about that much. Every 10C change in temperature speeds up chemical reactions by a factor of 2. So your beer will age about 2.2 times faster at 26C than it would at cellar temperatures. It's not a big deal in the long run.

Thanks.
I guess I drop it for now, but just for being curios, how to do it?

Put some bottles in pot of room temperature water*
Put said pot on the stove.
Heat to over 161*
Hold at roughly 161* for 15 minutes.
Done.

*Don't put the bottles directly in hot water, or they will break.

Meh,as long as your sanitation was good from start to finish,you don't need to pasteurize the bottled beer. 78F isn't bad for carbing/conditioning your beer. I bottle & box mine up,& take them upstairs to the master bedroon where the warmth is more even away from the front door traffic.

Back