Gimme summer beer ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spencecore24

Reaction score
Since my duplex has horrible insulation brewing beer during the summer does not seem to be an option! I want to brew a few more before we really start getting hot here in california. I have already made a Hef, IPA, and a Wit. What other suggestions or recipes do you have for a good summah beer?

Have a summah!:mug:

more hefs. love them. I just started a hef project. I'm going to try to perfect my recipe over the summer. I did my first attempt last night. we'll see how it goes.

The Midwest magic magnet says, Liberty cream ale, Noble Trappist ale and Happy Holiday ale through the next 3 months. I have brewed none of those. I never listen to the magnet.

Summer shandy. Just brew an American wheat and rack onto a couple pounds of sliced lemons and viola! A delicious and refreshing summer brew.

Wheat beers always seem to hit the spot for me in hot weather, since you already made a Wit, how about a nice hoppy American Wheat.... a Saison would be good too.

There's a few lemon suggestions, try a lime one. Seems to me to hit the spot better, and its a little sweeter so you can really get that full thirst-quenching benefit, by drinking more! Although a double batch might be in order...

I have fermenting:
- Oktoberfest ale (so it can age and be ready for fall)
- American Dopplebock ale (Same deal as above)
- A pear infused, Calypso hopped Kolsh (This is gonna be EPIC this summer)

I just brewed yesterday and will be pitching the yeast in a bit on:
- Popcorn ale! (Never brewed before but I based it on the original Hamm's recipe I can only guess this is going to be a great summer beer)
- French Saison SMaSH (I used the new French Aramis hops, Bohemian Pilsner malt and French Saison yeast)

IMO I would brew up an O-fest so it can age and a Kolsh and/or Saison. You already have 2 wheat beers. If that doesn't do it for you, try a Belgian single.

For fun you may want to check out Skeeter Pee.

What is the problem exactly. To hot for you to brew or to hot for your yeast. If its the yeast there are some strains that work will in hot like saison yeast. Just put the fermenter in a tub of water and keep puting frozen water bottles in it to manage the temp.

The issue is the fermenting temp. It gets to be almost 100 on bad days in the summer. I Have thought about the water thing a bit. assuming i can ferment in the water. what about bottles?

i've had success with honey. It must not all ferment out. I like to brew up a lager and add honey for a summer beer.

I have fermenting:
- Oktoberfest ale (so it can age and be ready for fall)

Is an Okto Ale really going to benefit from age?? I'd think they'd be better fresh given that you didn't use a lager yeast that needs the long lagering period to clear/condition..

Is an Okto Ale really going to benefit from age?? I'd think they'd be better fresh given that you didn't use a lager yeast that needs the long lagering period to clear/condition..

For the purpose of the OP having one all ready to go in Sept. I say yes, it will benefit, however I am not 100% sure as I have not done anything like this before. A stout (which most are not lagers) benefits from some aging so I can not see why a malty O-fest would not as well. In my case I am taking it in a different direction.

My plan is to keg condition (all 15 gallons) this ale in a Hoff-Stevens 1/2 bbl keg. That is going to take a few months I figure and it will need some time to make a compact yeast cake. (HS dip tubes don't go all the way to the bottom of the keg.)

I plan to serve it on a DIY beer engine like set-up. While not historically accurate (few O-fests are) I can still say that mine is a Marzen since it was brewed last month.

O-fests are a favorite style of mine and one day I will be able to lager beer but ATM that is not possible. I am well aware of the tub + ice and all the rest of the budget ways to do it my issue is space, as in, I have not 1 more inch in my home for this hobby. (We may move soon and that is when EVERYTHING will change.)

Cool.. hope it turns out good for ya - I'm planning to get my Okto going in a few weeks also, but not in a real hurry. I can call it a Marzen if I want, even if it was brewed in the month of the Maibock :)

Cool.. hope it turns out good for ya - I'm planning to get my Okto going in a few weeks also, but not in a real hurry. I can call it a Marzen if I want, even if it was brewed in the month of the Maibock :)

FWIW I had a crazy realization... I have 3 old SS HS kegs that are complete and under pressure so I have no worries there. I wanted to have 2 brew parties a year. (brew in the AM and party until ??? that night) That is when it hit me, I could brew up the beer for O-fest at a St.pats day party and age it until Sept/Oct. Then at the O-fest party brew up the beers for St. Pats day. They are almost 6 months apart! Granted it is not a perfect 6 months but it is "close enough for me." ;)

Talking about the St. Pats beers reinforces my answer of "yes. an ale does benefit from aging in some instances." Like An Irish Red, most recipes say to age it... 4-6 months.

Sorry about the thread jack OP. :mug:

Back