Historic Brewing in Bethlehem PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbowenz

Reaction score
Thought would share this with my HBT inmates, I do the historical brewing thing you know. This year , I have been asked to be a guest curator for a year long brewing exhibit . I hand built a 1830's style brewery ( which I will post in the equipment thread - 1bbl all copper affair ), then brewed an old recipe from the same time period at the brew pub in my town. I have done a bunch of beers with them and did pretty well at the GABF in 2007 ( won the ProAM gold medal ) . I am excited about this one, because the recipe is decent and will be the first time most people will taste a historic style Old ALe like it, I hope they will enjoy it, I do . I also enjoy doing the portayal of a historic brewer with all the clothes and old equipment , people really seem to get a kick out of it.

We have an 18th Century plantation in town, where they have planted a small field of 2 row barley and hops for me ( a master gardener is tending my crops ). I have a bunch of historical brewing events planned for this year, and next , including a few lectures on historic brewery design and beer making.

Historic Bethlehem Partnership

News » Brewery, Brewpub, Brew, Beer, Restaurant, Dining, Lehigh Valley, Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton, Nightclub, Bar, Live Music, Entertainment » The Brew Works

5017_1020424367643_1736213519_41519.jpg

5017_1020424487646_1736213519_41522.jpg

wow, this is awesome. i am in blue bell. my SWMBO is from bethlehem. i would be interested in coming to these events

That's amazing. That's a really good project. Not only historical beer processes but a recipe, too - taste the past!

Out of interest, what do you do for the mash temperature. Did they use thermometers in brewing in the 19th century.

That's amazing. That's a really good project. Not only historical beer processes but a recipe, too - taste the past!

Out of interest, what do you do for the mash temperature. Did they use thermometers in brewing in the 19th century.

Thanks, Iam doing a representation of brewing from the early 1800's, yes, they most certainly did use thermometers and Hydrometers, here is the set that I use, it's from 1832 and made in England:

P1000258.jpg

Here's last years demonstration set up :

64209f93.jpg

Display
a256152f.jpg

37673da1.jpg

too cool! I'm originally from the Reading area... have you gotten into the Kutztown Folk Festival! Would be a good venue. PM me in enough notice and I may try to work it into a family visit!

Yeah I remember the pics from last year. I still am trying to convince the powers that be in my town to let me do it for our annual "Feast of St CLair" weekend which recreate life in our area during the French and Indian war....People get all panicky when I start mentioning beer....

Yeah I remember the pics from last year. I still am trying to convince the powers that be in my town to let me do it for our annual "Feast of St CLair" weekend which recreate life in our area during the French and Indian war....People get all panicky when I start mentioning beer....
Give them a beer first Revvy, and don't mention it till .....well , you'll know when ...:ban:

How did I not see this thread until today, and why didn't you post it on the lvhb forum? I'm sorry I missed it! Are you doing the Goundie thing at the Blueberry Festival again? I'm going to a wedding in Albany on Saturday, but depending on what time I get home on Sunday...

This is awesome. I was in the Bethlehem/Lancaster area back in the 90's and it's a beautiful area. Would have loved to have seen this. Of course I was with a church youth group so it might have been hard to snag a trip to the brewery... :)

Don't know if any pics are going to come through of us at this year's Bueberry Festival. If we find any, we'll post them. Anything to remove that crappy shot of my unshaven mug from last year; I look like an escaped convict.

This year was much less hot and humid than last, that's for sure. It was a lot of fun!

Bob

Here's some shot's from this years historical brewing demo, these are from Saturday's brew day, still waiting on Sunday with member NQ3X

BlueberryFestival2009018.jpg

BlueberryFestival2009013.jpg

BlueberryFestival2009015.jpg

BlueberryFestival2009017.jpg

Back