Liberty Cream Ale question about honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrew129

Reaction score
Hi Everyone- I'm relatively new to brewing, I've done about 6 batches and always follow the recipe kit exactly. This time i'm making the Liberty Cream Ale from MW and I want to up the ABV a little so I was planning to add 1 lb of honey, is this a good idea?

Any advice appreciated!

Also if anyone has made this kit before, what did you think of it and is the flavor good? I don't want a super light beer, so if I need to add extra hops what should I add?

Cheers!

I just finished drinking the batch I made. Made it following the instructions, probably my favorite beer I've brewed. Not really hoppy, but not too light.

Josh14025 said:
I just finished drinking the batch I made. Made it following the instructions, probably my favorite beer I've brewed. Not really hoppy, but not too light.

+1 I added an extra pound of sugar towards the end of boil, turned out great.

I have been adding 2lbs of honey to my octoberfests, and they have turned out GREAT (Almost Belgian Quad tasting in a way)

I currently added 4 lbs of honey to the 3 crops cream ale (That one isnt done), 2 at boil and 2 to the secondary. It seems to be coming out really nice.

Long story short.. it adds ABV, a bit of dryness and a sweet fruity back flavor to the beer.

As you can tell by my signature.. I'm a fan.

Thanks everyone! Sounds like I can't go too wrong with honey or sugar. I appreciate the responses!

tracyk said:
I have always added 1# of clover honey 5 minutes before flameout at the end of the boil for my cream ales. They come out wonderful in the end for me. Alcohol is usually 6.5%. Most of my BMC friends love this ale.

I think I'll try this!

Back