Rabbits: Cuddly or Nutritious

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker36

Reaction score
Discuss
rabbits.jpg

Not all that nutritious actually

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

So cuddly I guess

Being non nutritious does not make a rabbit cuddly by default. Please consider your future arguements more carefully or we will be inclined to think that you are not taking this thread seriously.

I think rabbits are cute like a dancing banana, and equally as nutritious as a dancing banana......Therefore a rabbit is a dancing banana. :ban:

Does anyone get this extremely geeky joke I made up while taking a course on zoonoses?

Do you know what Eddie Rabbitt died from?...

... Tuleremia.

*tumbleweeds drifting by and crickets chirping*

You know, Tuleremia? AKA, "Rabbit Fever"? A disease one can get from handling dead rabbits?

Sheesh!... tough crowd:D.

I got it! Tuleremia! Haaaahaaahaaaaa!!!!

But I finally did talk my friends into rinsing their hands with alcohol after cleaning their bunnies because of it.

That's just unfair. I suggest you simply give them a list of preferred names that they may use. ie:

Orange saucy
Buffalo wingy
Drumsticky
etc.

The post I put in the cooking/pairing forum has a guy from Down Under that did the same thing. :D

Ha, cold weather training I was issued "1 live rabbit each" that I had to hold onto for 6 days. Then on day 7 I had to kill and eat it. Helped keep me warm at night, gave me some exercise chasing the sucker down when it would try to make a break for it, and it tasted pretty good with lot's of hot sauce rehydrated apple sauce.
Man it's been years since I thought of little fluffy.

Our pet rabbit was going to be eaten had we not adopted it. Of course, that's not why we adopted it, it just happened that the breeder raised show-quality rabbits as a hobby. Rabbits not suitable for show were either sold as pets or eaten, making it a very multi-facetted hobby. :) Our rabbit was a runt. he doesn't know how lucky he got!

(but sometimes I wanna eat'm)

Damn - I just got my 9yo actually excited about raising rabbits for food this weekend after talking about it for 2 years and then I find this rabbit starvation BS. Great...

My friend's dad bought 2 turkeys when we were kids and named them Thanksgiving and Christmas. :rockin:

All joking aside with the food-themed naming schemes, I think they are a great way to go, especially if you have kids. Calling your pigs by "Bacon" and "Porkchop" (as SWMBO's dad did when she was growing up) is bound to help the kids keep in mind the real purpose of raising these animals and to not treat them as much like a pet. I can see this making slaughter-day a less surprising and traumatic experience for kids, potentially.

Of course, I didn't grow up on a farm, so I really don't know if this is an issue. It wasn't for SWMBO, she says that was the best tasting ham EVAR! ;-)

They ain't cuddly in a pan!

I have scars to prove that the MP thing is true.
I'm not joking. A rabbit scarred me for life.

I feel you... I used to raise rabbits for food, wool, and show, and have all the scars to prove it. Lesson for life: Don't reach into a doe's hutch without knowing where her teeth and claws are first..... they aint so cuddly when they are hanging off your arm by thier teeth.

All joking aside with the food-themed naming schemes, I think they are a great way to go, especially if you have kids. Calling your pigs by "Bacon" and "Porkchop" (as SWMBO's dad did when she was growing up) is bound to help the kids keep in mind the real purpose of raising these animals and to not treat them as much like a pet. I can see this making slaughter-day a less surprising and traumatic experience for kids, potentially.

Of course, I didn't grow up on a farm, so I really don't know if this is an issue. It wasn't for SWMBO, she says that was the best tasting ham EVAR! ;-)

We did the same thing growing up. My one attempt at a show calf was naimed "Sir Loin", and our lambs have carried such names as "Chop", "Curry", and my favorite, "Paschal" :D

Did somebody say, "rabbit show?"

Seriously, a rabbit show? Like a dog show for rabbits?

WTF, how do you judge a rabbit? Hopping contests? Nose wiggles? Ease of skinning?

I've never liked the smell of cooked rabbit myself. Squirrel I'm fine with, though.

I do have a couple large rabbits at home, and they can be a little bit of a pain to deal with sometimes. Man, those things churn out the compost material!

WTF, how do you judge a rabbit? Hopping contests? Nose wiggles? Ease of skinning?
Ever watched a dog show? They just LOOK at the dogs. The "handlers" pamper and primp the living **** out of the dogs, put them in all sorts of weird stances and prances, and then some snooty dude in an ugly suit (or chick in a bad pants suit) points and yells numbers. The people who get the lowest numbers get all excited.

I'm guessing it's the same with a rabbit show, except weirder.

I grew up in the sticks, and did the 4-H thing as a kid, mostly through my mom's urging. We had, at varying times, rabbits, chickens, ducks, goats, turkeys, pigs, and steers, along with llamas, dogs, cats, and other non-food farm "pets".

I vote for rabbits as more nutritious than cuddly -- the sooner you eat them, the less you have to muck out their cages. Same for the goats, turkeys, pigs, and steers. Not so much cleaning up after ducks and chickens, thankfully.

And yes, Virginia, there is such a thing as a "rabbit show". There are also "goat shows", "llama shows" and other shows for nearly every other animal you can think of. The people who participate in those subcultures are every bit as varied, wacky, and passionate about their thing as brewers are about hop varieties and the Great Batch vs. Fly Sparge Debate.

Now I'm hungry for some goat tamales. They are tasty when they're young.

...bound to help the kids keep in mind the real purpose of raising these animals and to not treat them as much like a pet. I can see this making slaughter-day a less surprising and traumatic experience for kids, potentially.

That was what has been holding me back. She knows what animals her food comes from, she just didn't want it around her. Fish and seafood never bothered her, but the idea of something cute really got to her. She really preferred the idea of somebody else doing it, until she found out how badly it can be done. Now she can see how doing it conscientiously and humanely at home can be better. She just wants one to be a pet that she will not end up having to eat.

Did somebody say, "rabbit show?"

Seriously, a rabbit show? Like a dog show for rabbits?

As someone who used to show VERY competitively and spent a year apprenticing to be a judge, rabbit shows are actually a big deal and can get quite competitive. Because rabbits, well, breed like rabbits..., it is easy to start developing traits in a breed that are unwelcome or downright cruel to breed for like malocclusion, hernias, skin disorders, etc.

For most breeds, a judge will come in and look for deformities and assess general conformation depending on the purpose of the breed (meat, wool, fur...) The idea is that creating a competitive atmosphere and a sense of pride around a breed, most large breeders will select for positive traits instead of just shear numbers.

Unlike dog shows, that look for conformation according to a breed standard set by those who think they know what a dog should look like, rabbit judging is centered around a standard according to the overall purpose of the breed. I know its a fine distinction that does not hold true for all breeds (rabbit or dog) but instead of looking at breed and saying, "oh, I think we want longer ears because it is cuter" (as with most dog breed standards) it is more "Well this one produces more meat/wool/a finer fur, we should select for those traits."

My wife has some pet dwarfs and I had been trying to convince her that we should raise giant Flemish rabbits for meat. We live on a hobby farm so its about time we actually PRODUCE something.

Then last week I had to put down one of the pet ones... snapped its neck and held it until it stopped jerking around and making noise. Hell... just don't know if I have the heart to slaughter the damn things now.

My wife has some pet dwarfs and I had been trying to convince her that we should raise giant Flemish rabbits for meat. We live on a hobby farm so its about time we actually PRODUCE something.

Then last week I had to put down one of the pet ones... snapped its neck and held it until it stopped jerking around and making noise. Hell... just don't know if I have the heart to slaughter the damn things now.

Isn't it easier with a clever?

Back