Bottle Washer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aclay

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good Bottle Washer. Anyone know or have a good brand that is more reliable than another? One to stay away from? Anyone have any ideas about building one? I did a search on here and no one has talked about getting a good bottle washer! What's up guys?

Not sure what type of washing your doing here.
I learned early that life is easier if you rinse your bottle asap after pouring the brew.
I'm a rinser
PBW soaker
And dishwasher user.

:mug: Yeah I just rinse soon after pouring but the Jet Bottle is guaranteed forever. I really dont have to use the bottle washer. Use Starsan! I'm sure you have read that or Iodophor are the two superior products.:mug:

I rinse my bottles right after pouring. When bottling night comes around, I give them a quick rinse with the Jet bottle washer before sanitizing. The Jet washer works pretty well, but for stuck-on crud, nothing beats a brush and some elbow grease.

Get one of these:

jet-washer.jpg

I use mine for carboys and bottles even the worst dumster dive bottle come out super clean after an hour soak in Oxy and a blast with this baby.

Every good HB retailer will have one. Support your LHBS! :mug:

There is nothing better than one of those brass bottle blasters! But the best practice is to rinse right after you empty a bottle. Although I have been known to pour a few too many and after a while, I completely forget to rinse. So that may require a soak in Oxyclean and then a blast from the jet. Then sanitize with starsan fill and repeat.

Or just say screw it all and start kegging!

I bought a Vinator a little while back and it's great.

Assuming you rinse out the bottles after pouring, it makes bottling day go so much smoother. Just a few pumps and it's done. (Story of my life).

I like SWMBO brand bottle washers. I have this brand. I find sometimes that these brand will have there problems like making weird noises. If you listen closley these noises sound alot like i don't like washing bottles, or why do we have to do this. Just remind the SWMBO brand bottle washer of the great beer it will be drinking latter. That is another flaw of using SWMBO brand bottle washer, you will not get as many bottles of homebrew with this brand. It like to drink a few bottles every now and then. Tish brand is also more costly than other brands as you have to take it out to diner and a movie every now and then. Also if you are not around to watch the SWMBO brand bottle washer it will goto the mall on shopping sprees. This brand does have some other nice featuers it will do other things beside just was bottles. I use my SWMBO bottle washer as a personal pleasure device, it also does laundry and dishes without any help or work required on your part.

+1 on oxyclean for nasty/moldy bottles
+1 on rinsing as you consume them to prevent mold/crud buildup

Oxyclean de-labels like a mutha too

ditto the brass bottle washer, one of the best $10 investments I made. Good for bottles and carboys.

To clarify. I do rinse my bottles after use. What I was refering to was the bottle blaster that is being talked about. (My SWMBO bottle washer doesn't work like that. :( ) The brass blaster does look interesting. Is there anyone here who has made one? Or is it better to just go and buy one from my LHBS? Are there "brands" to them or is it just a metal rinser? these are the kinds of questions I was wondering on. I've been seriously thinking about one because I'm getting tired of rinsing the bottles out in my tub after a quick highly diluted bleach solution soak. Thanks for the responses so far. (The SWMBO post was great!)

My Bleach solution is not bad at all. Plus I rinse all my equipment out very well. My solution is two small cap fulls of bleach to 5 1/2 - 6 gallons of cold water (I do my bottles in my bottling bucket.) I let them soak for about 15 minutes and then rinse. That's why I'm so intrested in the bottle blaster. The rinsing is starting to suck.

If you want to keep from rinsing the best way would be to

1. rinse bottles after use (seems like you are already doing that)
2. Use the brass bottle/carboy washer described in this thread.
1762.jpg

3. Use star-san and a sanitizer injector.
4054.jpg

I have one of these and they even fit on top your bottle drying rack if you have one of those (I don't). http://morebeer.com/search/102303?PHPSESSID=50f25fb72475b47a97

I don't have one of those fancy bottle washer devices so I've just been rinsing them, soaking the inside overnight with a pinch of oxiclean, then rinsing & drying. Then I close the bottle tops (grolsch style) and store until bottling day. I don't use a sanitizer until the morning of bottling day.

Would you guys recommend I use my no-rinse sanitizer when I clean the bottles? Or is it good enough just to use it on bottling day?

Back