Cutting kegs with a torch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustinj

Reaction score
Anyone cut the top out of a keg with a torch. I am making a keggle that will start life for BIAB then move to 10 gal all grain with HLT MLT and kettle

So, I want the top as open as possible. I've never cut stainless with a torch.

Thanks

If your talking about an Oxy/Acetylene torch, don't try it or you will ruin your your keggle.

You cannot cut stainless with an oxy torch.

The melting point of the oxides that form when stainless is heated close to melting are many many degrees higher than that of the flame of the cutting torch.

A plasma torch does a nice job if you have access to one, or you can cut it open with a cut-off wheel on a grinder.

Thanks. Figuring that out as I do some research. And yes Oxy/actylene. I'm thinking ill cut as close to the edge with a cutoff wheel as I can then smooth it as much as I can to keep from cutting the bag. Maybe add a strip of rubber or silicone to help.

Thanks

I had good results with a cutting wheel. There were a lot of sparks. Took about 30 mins including a rough smoothing of the edges.

I have done it with a plasma cutter... It didn't go well ... At all

Not sure why anyone ever bothers to try something different on kegs. I have done 20+ kegs for personal use and for folks in my LHBC all with a cut off wheel in a 4 1/2" grinder, a flap wheel, and a deburring wheel. Less than $10 in consumable product can cut more than a few kegs. Quick and easy every time plus my edges are smooth and clean.

I've cut almost 10 keggles open with a handheld plasma torch. works GREAT! Just be sure to fill the keg with water first or the gasses will stain the sidewalls and it is a beast to clean up.

This is the end result of my method. I used the rim of the keg as a guide and also rested the tail end of the handle of the torch on top of the rim. This offers lateral support from the rim as a circular guide, as well as vertical support from the back end of the torch. It leaves a nice WIDE opening on each keggle. Notice here I am cutting the bottoms out of the kegs because I bottom drain all my vessels.
Also, WEAR GLOVES! THICK GLOVES! With water in the keg, the torch will start blowing that water (hot water by now) up on your hands and if you are wearing cheap thin work gloves you may get scalded.

2012-05-21%2021.49.44.jpg

Sweet. That looks good. Don't have access to a plasma cutter unfortunately. Gonna hit it with a grinder after work today.

So I got my keg cut last night with a plasma cutter and didn't fill it all the way up with water... What's the best way to clean all that crap out?

image-3467455382.jpg

3M medium coarse scotchbrite pad.
Not the ones you buy for the kitchen.
I'm talking about the industrial ones.

Back