Re-hydrating yeast kills?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boiling water does nothing to certain toxins in the water or a contaminated container. Temp probe could be off. Your all looking down a tunnel and a land full of fairy tales and unicorns. In the real world its not as perfect as you make it. Why worry about something that does not effect the outcome of your beer? Wait let m guess if you had a side by side you would nail it every time. Your making a big deal out of nothing.

You need not rehydrate to make a good beer. This is where you are wrong.

If the final result is the same then why not do what the manufacturer recommends?

Boiling water does nothing to certain toxins in the water or a contaminated container. Temp probe could be off. Your all looking down a tunnel and a land full of fairy tales and unicorns. In the real world its not as perfect as you make it. Why worry about something that does not effect the outcome of your beer? Wait let m guess if you had a side by side you would nail it every time. Your making a big deal out of nothing.

The thing you are missing here is that everyone on this site wants to make BETTER beer. If you have already perfected all the styles of beer you want to brew, that's great. But you're probably the only one.

You are 100% wrong about pitch rates not affecting the beer quality. Underpitching yeast results in several things that will make a beer noticeably less appealing.

The thing you are missing here is that everyone on this site wants to make BETTER beer. If you have already perfected all the styles of beer you want to brew, that's great. But you're probably the only one.

You are 100% wrong about pitch rates not affecting the beer quality. Under pitching yeast results in several things that will make a beer noticeably less appealing.

Your talking two different things. Under pitching is not tossing yeast on top of the wort. You can under pitch with any yeast... liquid, dry, rehydrated etc etc. I figured most would know the difference. I guess not. You missed my post if you think I do not want to make better beer.

Try to read my posts before such silly comments.

Again read posts before such comments. I already explained.

Don't get snooty with me all mighty one! I started this thread with the intention of learning. God forbid I missed a couple posts in a thread with over 80 posts.

Your talking two different things. Under pitching is not tossing yeast on top of the wort. You can under pitch with any yeast... liquid, dry, rehydrated etc etc. I figured most would know the difference. I guess not. You missed my post if you think I do not want to make better beer.

If you kill half your yeast by not rehydrating, you are underpitching.

Did you read the information at the link I gave you earlier? Here it is:

Let me give you some facts regarding rehydration and you can decide for
yourself where you want to compromise.
Every strain of yeast has its own optimum rehydration temperature. All of
them range between 95 F to 105F. Most of them closer to 105F. The dried
yeast cell wall is fragile and it is the first few minutes (possibly
seconds) of rehydration that the warm temperature is critical while it is
reconstituting its cell wall structure.

As you drop the initial temperature of the water from 95 to 85 or 75 or 65F
the yeast leached out more and more of its insides damaging the each cell.
The yeast viability also drops proportionally. At 95 – 105 F, there is
100% recovery of the viable dry yeast. At 60F, there can be as much as 60%
dead cells.

The water should be tap water with the normal amount of hardness present.
The hardness is essential for good recovery. 250 -500 ppm hardness is
ideal. This means that deionized or distilled water should not be used.
Ideally, the warm rehydration water should contain about 0.5 – 1.0% yeast
extract

For the initial few minutes (perhaps seconds) of rehydration, the yeast
cell wall cannot differentiate what passes through the wall. Toxic
materials like sprays, hops, SO2 and sugars in high levels, that the yeast
normally can selectively keep from passing through its cell wall rush right
in and seriously damage the cells. The moment that the cell wall is
properly reconstituted, the yeast can then regulate what goes in and out of
the cell. That is why we hesitate to recommend rehydration in wort or
must. Very dilute wort seems to be OK.

We recommend that the rehydrated yeast be added to the wort within 30
minutes. We have built into each cell a large amount of glycogen and
trehalose that give the yeast a burst of energy to kick off the growth
cycle when it is in the wort. It is quickly used up if the yeast is
rehydrated for more than 30 minutes. There is no damage done here if it is
not immediatly add to the wort. You just do not get the added benefit of
that sudden burst of energy. We also recommend that you attemperate the
rehydrated yeast to with in 15F of the wort before adding to the wort.
Warm yeast into a cold wort will cause many of the yeast to produce petite
mutants that will never grow or ferment properly and will cause them to
produce H2S. The attemperation can take place over a very brief period by
adding, in encrements, a small amount of the cooler wort to the rehydrated
yeast.

Many times we find that warm water is added to a very cold container that
drops the rehydrating water below the desired temperature.

Sometimes refrigerated, very cold, dry yeast is added directly to the warm
water with out giving it time to come to room temperature. The initial
water intering the cell is then cool.

How do many beer and wine makers have successful fermentations when they
ignore all the above? I believe that it is just a numbers game. Each gram
of Active Dry Yeast contains about 20 billion live yeast cells. If you
slightly damage the cells, they have a remarkable ability to recover in the
rich wort. If you kill 60% of the cell you still have 8 billion cells per
gram that can go on to do the job at a slower rate.

The manufacturer of Active Dry Beer Yeast would be remiss if they offered
rehydration instructions that were less than the very best that their data
indicated.

One very important factor that the distributor and beer maker should keep
in mind is that Active Dry Yeast is dormant or inactive and not inert, so
keep refrigerated at all times. Do not store in a tin roofed warehouse
that becomes an oven or on a window sill that gets equally hot.

Active Dry Yeast looses about 20% of its activity in a year when it is
stored at 75 F and only 4% when refrigerated.

The above overview of rehydration should tell you that there is a very best
way to rehydrate. It should also tell you where you are safe in adapting
the rehydration procedure to fit your clients.

Clayton Cone

Don't get snooty with me all mighty one! I started this thread with the intention of learning. God forbid I missed a couple posts in a thread with over 80 posts.

Where you see snooty? Sorry you do not read your own thread.

If you kill half your yeast by not rehydrating, you are underpitching.

Did you read the information at the link I gave you earlier? Here it is:

Again you did not read my posts. Pitch 2 was my advice. Its 2 bucks. With pitch calculators its easy.

What are these "toxins" in my water, and how would they not also be in the wort I made with said water? Seems sprinkling 2 packets on toxic wort would be just as bad as sprinkling 1 packed on a little toxic water.

I think we've established that sprinkling 2 packets directly on the wort is the easiest route. But if rehydrating was too much "trouble", I probably wouldn't spend the other 5 hours on brew day either! :)

Again you did not read my posts. Pitch 2 was my advice. Its 2 bucks. With pitch calculators its easy.

I responded to that. I said it was good advice. I think it is you who is not listening to the rest of this thread.

If I told you that 99% of brewers have who rehydrate their yeast do so successfully and in a very easy manner, would you still continue to say it is a bad idea?

Where you see snooty? Sorry you do not read your own thread.

You could be a nicer person. I see your point about using a second packet of yeast, but that's not what this entire thread was about. It's about the best way to rehydrate yeast.

Your logic is flawed.

Your just be ridiculous now.

Your all looking down a tunnel and a land full of fairy tales and unicorns.

Wait let m guess if you had a side by side you would nail it every time. Your making a big deal out of nothing.

Sorry you do not read your own thread.

You could be a nicer person. I see your point about using a second packet of yeast, but that's not what this entire thread was about. It's about the best way to rehydrate yeast.

LOL...his signature also says it all :D

All true statements. Nothing snooty. Should I post all the rude comments to me? No I need not. Glad you think I am so important that you can quote me so much.

Atleast you went back and read my posts. I agree re hydrating is fine. I just wanted to make sure they know it is not fool proof either and you can toss it in and have a great beer.

There is drawbacks to both. Pick your poison.

I apologize if I offended anyone. Just passionate I am :mug:

And which toxins are referring to? Do they leach into the water from the hoofs or the horns of the unicorn? Perhaps you shouldn't use such dangerous water in your beer either... :drunk:

You know, I could probably get away with not sanitizing my carboys a few times. If it worked and I made a great beer, does that mean I could jump on here and tell everyone they shouldn't waste their time??

I have read mixed reviews about re-hydrating dry yeast and pitching yeast in cool temps. So, if pitching yeast in high temperature wort kills the yeast then how does re-hydrating yeast not kill, considering the water temp for hydrating yeast is 90-110 degrees? Sorry for the noob question :eek:

To get back to the original post, pitching dry yeast into 105 degree wort wouldn't kill them (at least by temperature), you just don't want to ferment that high for flavor reasons. Yeast produce more off flavor compounds at higher temperatures. Wort kills as much as 50% of dehydrated yeast because the dried cells cannot yet regulate how much sugar they take in and burst. Rehydration is an intermediate step to prevent this prior to pitching to preserve more of the yeast for the pitch. There is obviously much debate over whether or not it's "necessary", but that's what it is. Sorry if you got dragged in to a slugfest between students of brewing and the "it works for me so it's the right way" crowd...

To get back to the original post, pitching dry yeast into 105 degree wort wouldn't kill them (at least by temperature), you just don't want to ferment that high for flavor reasons. Yeast produce more off flavor compounds at higher temperatures. Wort kills as much as 50% of dehydrated yeast because the dried cells cannot yet regulate how much sugar they take in and burst. Rehydration is an intermediate step to prevent this prior to pitching to preserve more of the yeast for the pitch. There is obviously much debate over whether or not it's "necessary", but that's what it is. Sorry if you got dragged in to a slugfest between students of brewing and the "it works for me so it's the right way" crowd...

Nah it's alright. Needless to say, I've learned a lot.

And which toxins are referring to? Do they leach into the water from the hoofs or the horns of the unicorn? Perhaps you shouldn't use such dangerous water in your beer either... :drunk:

You know, I could probably get away with not sanitizing my carboys a few times. If it worked and I made a great beer, does that mean I could jump on here and tell everyone they shouldn't waste their time??

Feeling strong again after you were caught in lies? Your able to try and be cute again? Obviously you do not really want to learn anything, you're just on a bandwagon. No real knowledge about this subject.

My statements are true. I cannot force you to agree or like them.

I had apologized and you return with this posting??

Have a great day Demus.

Feeling strong again after you were caught in lies? Your able to try and be cute again? Obviously you do not really want to learn anything, you're just on a bandwagon. No real knowledge about this subject.

My statements are true. I cannot force you to agree or like them.

I had apologized and you return with this posting??

Have a great day Demus.

Lies? Seriously?? Ask BansheeRider if he thinks I've been lying to him. Are you off your meds or something?

Lies? Seriously?? Ask BansheeRider if he thinks I've been lying to him. Are you off your meds or something?

Wow how soon you forget. I was not talking of lies to him. You're not worth my time.

Have a great day!

Back