Made a batch, only came to 4 gallons instead of 5 - repercussions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xmacro

Reaction score
Make a batch, started at about 5.5 gallons, wound up with about 4 gallons when I racked it into the primary due to boil off; am I right in thinking the only problem is that the beer might be too concentrated? Will this throw my OG/SG off?

It will definitley have a higher OG/FG and ABV. Not a bad thing, but perhaps more kick than you intended. Next time shoot for about 6.5 gallons in the kettle.

Yes most likely you've made a stronger beer than you intended but there's nothing wrong with that. Dialing in your boil off rate over time will help. Also noting how much is left behind in the kettle. Edit: meaning so you can use thus info to calculate your starting boil volume better.

I've had several AG batches where I miscalculated my volumes. Most of those times I was even more pleased with the beer than I normally would have been. It's always sad to reach the end of the line so soon though. I really should start paying more attention when I add my strike and sparge water. The beer comes out as a pseudo-imperial version of the original beer depending on how much boiled off.

Also you can top off with cold water to bring it up to volume before pitching. I like to try and hit it right the first time but this is a backup if your OG is higher than intended.

Also you can top off with cold water to bring it up to volume before pitching. I like to try and hit it right the first time but this is a backup if your OG is higher than intended.

I've always been skeptical to do that on an AG batch, though I did it routinely with PMs or extracts. Out of curiosity, has anyone ever just added tepid tap water to the hot grain bed just to pull out another gallon or two out of the mash? Obviously it's not ideal, but I'm curious if this will really matter in the end product. I've been too chicken to try it myself.

Try some software. It takes all the guesswork out. There is some free stuff on the forum or you buy some.

Thanks all; it's a NB's Black IPA, I've already pitched the yeast last night, so I figure it's too late to add water; OG was supposed to be 1.075, was actually 1.089 or 1.090, so we'll see what happens

xmacro said:
Thanks all; it's a NB's Black IPA, I've already pitched the yeast last night, so I figure it's too late to add water; OG was supposed to be 1.075, was actually 1.089 or 1.090, so we'll see what happens

Sounds like you made a tasty beer.

I try to do 7G in Kettle...boil down to abt 5.5 gals, so when I fill fermenter I get approx 5 G.. Sometimes a bit less, but not 4 G ... you can add makeup water (pre-boiled if possible or packagaed)..your beer will be great

Latest posts

Back