• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Barrier Tubing 3/16"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bad coffee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
the final list. PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR USER NAME ON YOUR PAYPAL OR PM ME!

Southpawbrew 100 (paid)
Mike 50
Tjcavitt 50
rabeb25 100 (paid)
River City 100 (paid)
bucfanMike 100 (Paid)
Ohio-Ed 100(Paid)
lagavoulin 100(paid)
HeyJaffy 50 (Paid)
Bokonon 50-100 (paid)

All gone for now!

I should have the stuff next week, then I'll be able to figure out shipping quotes. Looks like $30-35/100' shipped.

B

Wyazz, There is only 50' left until I re-do my kegerator. Do you want to put dibs on the last 50 and see what's left?

B

Wyzazz... I probably only need 75' but I put in for 100' if you want to split the difference and go 75 and 75 if that is OK with coffee.

Wyzazz... I probably only need 75' but I put in for 100' if you want to split the difference and go 75 and 75 if that is OK with coffee.

While I appreciate the offer, I've got a 10 tap tower and need 10' per tap. I'm a little OCD when it comes to engineering things so I'd feel "off" if I didn't change all the lines at once. :drunk:

While I appreciate the offer, I've got a 10 tap tower and need 10' per tap. I'm a little OCD when it comes to engineering things so I'd feel "off" if I didn't change all the lines at once. :drunk:

The resistance on this is a LOT less than regular vinyl. I'm planning on starting with 30' on one tap and seeing if I need more or less. So for your 10-tap, depending on temp, you could need about 300'!

Google Beer quality manual. There's a great PDF that explains it.

B

Kahu, if you wanted to split with River City Brewer it would be fine with me. Let me know how much you each want and I'll figure out a price.

If Kahu takes 50' that should be all of it.

Cheers,
B

The resistance on this is a LOT less than regular vinyl. I'm planning on starting with 30' on one tap and seeing if I need more or less. So for your 10-tap, depending on temp, you could need about 300'!

Google Beer quality manual. There's a great PDF that explains it.

B

Hmmm, good to know! I'll look that up!

Yeah I just read that manual too... didn't realize about the resistance thing... I have 7 taps and will probably need all 100' feet for mine.

I'm going to go ahead and give my 100' up, which seems OK, because there seems to be a lot of interest in this tubing.

Why? Slightly embarrassing: I didnt realize what barrier tubing was. Research done, and barrier tubing not required.

Just read that manual...i'm gonna give up my 50' too...for the same reason (also slightly embarrassing). Sorry...

Thanks coffee.

Does anyone have a formula for determining length per PSI with this tubing? Or know how may inches per PSI you need compared to traditional 3/16 vinyl?

Cheers!

There is one in the beer quality manual.

Basically (psi- (#feet tap is above center of keg)) x.3/ft

At 38* I get
2.1 vols 18'
3 vols 45'.

I'm going with 30 to start, and see how it is.

B

If someone would be kind enough to take a caliper measurement of the od of the tubing once it is stretched over a 1/4" barbed fitting I would appreciate it.

I ordered some Oetiker clamps for the new set up. Brett measured with some calipers the od of the tubing at .321. What I didn't take into account is the increased od once the tubing was stretched over the 1/4" barbed fittings.

Basically (psi- (#feet tap is above center of keg)) x.3/ft

I guess I need a little more clarification. Does that equation say psi MINUS # of feet tap is above center of keg TIMES .3 DIVIDED by # of feet of tubing?

I was hoping to cut 5 20 foot lengths for my 5 tap kegerator. My taps are less than a foot above my kegs. Were would I be at with 20 foot lengths?

From the beer quality manual:

• Beer Conditions:
o Beer temperature: 38°F
o Beer carbonation: 2.8 volumes of CO2 per volume of beer
o Dispense gas: 100% CO2
o Gas pressure needed to maintain carbonation = 14.5 psig
• Static Pressure:
o Vertical lift = 5 ft. (Tap 5 ft. above the center of the keg)
o Static resistance from gravity = 5 ft. x 0.5 pounds/foot = 2.5 pounds
• Balance
o Applied pressure of 14.5 psi must be balanced by total system resistance
o Since static resistance equals 2.5 psi, a total of 12 pounds of system resistance will be needed:
Restriction = 14.5 – 2.5 = 12 pounds

The barrier tubing should be about .3 pounds/foot, so you'd need 40' 12 pounds / .3 pounds per foot

Most people here run their home kegerators with the 'standard' 10' of line. that's vinyl and has about 3#/foot. Which means to get the same amount of resistance you'd need 100 feet of tubing at .3#/foot. You're better off doing the math and balancing the lines correctly.

B

Back