Fast fermentation of my barley wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpeterseufl

Reaction score
So I pitched a barley wine onto a US-05 yeast cake. It was only a 2-gallon batch, and the cake was from a 3-gallon batch of an American amber. The airlock pretty much stopped after 72 hours. I took a hydrometer reading, and the 1.096 OG barley wine is down to 1.018. Should I be concerned with how fast or dry this fermented?

Speed isn't a problem unless the fermenter got hot. 1.018 isn't too dry for a big BW.

I brewed a 1.105 barleywine Friday. I checked it this morning at 9AM, around 38 hours since I pitched a 3.5L starter of Pacman, and it's down to 1.050 and chugging along nicely.

I tried hard to keep the temperature around 65. The sample tasted pretty good, but a little warm. I suppose some aging will help it mellow.

It sounds like a healthy amount of yeast can really do some damage in a short amount of time. The more I brew, the more amazed I am by those things.

To follow up on this, at 72 hours my barleywine has dropped from 1.105 to 1.022. So that's roughly 80% attenuation from the pacman so far and it's still looking pretty active. I'm hoping it's almost done and doesn't dry out too much more.

I brewed a 1.105 barleywine on Saturday (I know I said Sunday in another post...it was Saturday...I lose track). I haven't taken a reading yet, but it was going nuts yesterday; today it's still going along at a good pace. I suspect it's 60 or 70% done. As long as the temp is okay, it's no problem.

Latest posts

Back