Keeping unfermented wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eskram

Reaction score
How long will it keep? I haven't brewed the batch yet (pilsner), but I think I got a dead batch of yeast.. 1.5 days, and the smack pack never expanded, so I made a starter with it last nite, but no activity there either.

I'm going to be short on time for the next two weekends, so is it ok to brew the batch today and put an airlock on it until I can get some new yeast tomorrow? I have a fridge I can put it in until then. What temp should I keep it at?

Eskram, I'm not speaking from experience, but I would guess that keeping wort is very dangerous. That stuff is a breading ground - ANY contamination is going to show up, as there will be no yeast (or, no good yeast) to keep things under control. If you managed to keep the wort itself dead clean, then you could maybe try to get some Co2 or nitrogen sprayed in on top, then airlock it. But my guess is you are not going to be able to keep that wort sterile, and you are going to have some yuckies in there. Keeping it cold should help...

Sasquatch said:
Eskram, I'm not speaking from experience, but I would guess that keeping wort is very dangerous. That stuff is a breading ground - ANY contamination is going to show up, as there will be no yeast (or, no good yeast) to keep things under control. If you managed to keep the wort itself dead clean, then you could maybe try to get some Co2 or nitrogen sprayed in on top, then airlock it. But my guess is you are not going to be able to keep that wort sterile, and you are going to have some yuckies in there. Keeping it cold should help...

Would sticking it in the freezer help? I'm assuming that the viscosity of the liquid is going to prevent it from fully freezing up, then he would jjust need to add it to warm water prior to pitching.

I've got an external controller on my freezer so I can get it pretty cold.

What about reboiling it for a few minutes? Would boiling it again affect the hops somehow? It would be a pain to clean everythign and chill the wort down again, but I can find some time during the evening maybe, if it comes to that.

I've decided to just wait. I don't think the risk is worth wasting my time and effort if it goes bad.

Thanks for the input all. :)

Eskram said:
I've got an external controller on my freezer so I can get it pretty cold.

What about reboiling it for a few minutes? Would boiling it again affect the hops somehow? It would be a pain to clean everythign and chill the wort down again, but I can find some time during the evening maybe, if it comes to that.
I can get my freezer pretty cold without the external controller....... :)

bikebryan said:
I can get my freezer pretty cold without the external controller....... :)

LOL. Yeah, that too.

I guess I meant that I could control the temp easily - something besides on at -10F or off. :p

Back