Need some help picking an outdoor burner solution for brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jheim

Reaction score
I am currently getting into brewing at home but cannot cook in a stock pot on my glass top stove. Rather than purchase a new stove, I was looking into getting an outdoor burner to boil the batch, possibly a turkey fryer. Can I get some opinions from the experienced brewers out there on this burner? Why would this be so much cheaper than burners for sale at local brewing stores? Would that be largely due to it being a specialty shop markup?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...271?hvarTarget=search&hvarAID=&cmCat=10010100

Thanks

I have borrowed a turkey fryer like the one you have linked.. I would recommend purchasing the burner and pot separately. The pot that comes with the burner you linked only holds 7.5 gallons which is hard to do a full boil with. I would recommend a 40 quart pot so you could do full boils.

Don't mess with that one or even a complete turkey setup unless you really needed a pot. Otherwise you can't go wrong with a Bayou Classic SQ-14. $49 bucks and shipped free. It's the burner I use and it's great. Simple, sturdy, and brings things up to a boil in no time.

I'm actually looking for the same thing right now.

Is this the burner you guys are talking about?
http://bayouclassicdepot.com/sp1_propane_jet_burner.htm

What does it mean "Add sentry temp control valve" at $24.99. What is that and do I need it?

Also what is a good kettle to get. I'm looking for a 40 qt (10 Gallon). I heard aluminum is not that bad to go with so I think that's what I'm looking for.

I'm actually looking for the same thing right now.

Is this the burner you guys are talking about?
http://bayouclassicdepot.com/sp1_propane_jet_burner.htm

What does it mean "Add sentry temp control valve" at $24.99. What is that and do I need it?

Also what is a good kettle to get. I'm looking for a 40 qt (10 Gallon). I heard aluminum is not that bad to go with so I think that's what I'm looking for.

You don't need a high pressure jet burner unless you're doing larger batches. That's a different model by the same company (Bayou Classic) but not necessary if you're just doing 5 gallon batches. The main difference is I believe that one comes with a 20 PSI regulator and the SQ14 (square based model) is 10 PSI. Granted, you get a lot more BTU out of the high pressure burner, but far more than you actually need if you're doing around 7.5 gallon boils for a 5 gallon batch.

EDIT: I'd also note that the burner you linked to has absolutely no shielding for the wind. Even a moderate breeze can cause issues with keeping your flame going and/or significantly increase the amount of time to get to a boil, which also results in wasted propane. So, just something else to consider when looking at burners and stands. Of course, you can always rig up a wind shield fairly easily as well.

found a bayou burner complete set up ( pot, stand ,burner, and propane tank) unused on craigslist for 50 bucks.. I am broke as a joke so it will flitter away!!!

I agree with marubozo.
The SQ14 has 4 legs and a nice burner. I got mine from Home depot for a reasonable price. It has a 10 PSI regulator and handles 5g brews without any problems. I'm sure it could do a 10g batch as well, but I've never tried it.
As for the kettle, I used to use a 7g enamel pot, and it was a PITA. I switched to a 10g SS pot when the enamel started flaking. The 10g is so much better. Perhaps one day, I will have to confess to SWMBO that the enamel started flaking after it was encouraged by a few hefty taps with a hammer.:eek:
I'd be happy with either SS or aluminum providing that it is a heavy gauge pot. Don't buy a pot with paper thin walls and base. It may save you a few bucks when you buy it, but it will cost you more in the long run.

-a.

Don't mess with that one or even a complete turkey setup unless you really needed a pot. Otherwise you can't go wrong with a Bayou Classic SQ-14. $49 bucks and shipped free. It's the burner I use and it's great. Simple, sturdy, and brings things up to a boil in no time.

Not trying to hijack....

Would you recommend this burner for use with a keggle? If not, then what would be a good recommendation. Seriously contemplating upgrading equipment to a keggle setup. Extract for now and moving to partial mash by spring if I can help it. Thanks

You don't need a high pressure jet burner unless you're doing larger batches. That's a different model by the same company (Bayou Classic) but not necessary if you're just doing 5 gallon batches. The main difference is I believe that one comes with a 20 PSI regulator and the SQ14 (square based model) is 10 PSI. Granted, you get a lot more BTU out of the high pressure burner, but far more than you actually need if you're doing around 7.5 gallon boils for a 5 gallon batch.

I think I found the one you were talking about. The price was throwing me off. Can you say where you found it for $49 and free shipping. This one is $56.99 and $13.55 s/h.

http://bayouclassicdepot.com/sq14_propane_burner.htm

Edit: Actually I found it online for $49 and free shipping. Thanks for all your help.

Latest posts

Back