papazian-joy of homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gone

Reaction score
im looking to make my fourth beer but cant decide on a recipe or a style. the only book i have is papazians joy of home brewing, third edition. are these recipes too outdated to use? im looking for an extract or partial recipe. if anyone still uses his recipes, what are your favorites?

There's a couple things in his recipes that might be outdated but for the most part they're good to go. For instance, some recipes might list "Crystal Malt" or "Dark Crystal" without providing a Lovibond rating. I've learned that just "Crystal Malt" usually means Crystal 40L and "Dark Crystal" means Crystal 120L. For what its worth, I'm a fan on the Silver Dollar Porter on pg. 311

Well guess what? HBT has recipes too.

When I am faced with being un-able to decide a style to brew around I'll first look at what I have on hand and go from there. Or, just open a book and brew whatever style is referenced first.

the only book i have is papazians joy of home brewing, third edition. are these recipes too outdated to use?

Beer never goes out of stlye. There are breweries in Europe making beer from recipes that are several hundred years old.

As GilaMinum said there is a recipe section on this site on the brown bar near the top of the page click recipes. There is also a wealth of recipes around the internet if you just google for them.

So many recipes....so little time. :)

I'm not sure about the third, but the second continually recommends amber and dark extract. I shy away from those recipes as I'm not sure how to successfully convert them. Fortunately for me, I'd rather just read about fifteen recipes and then come up with my own anyway.

thanks for the replies. i dont mean outdated as far as styles but as far as buying the ingredients. im still a little intimidated by the recipes. the only beer ive made has been from a kit and two recipes that the guy at the lhbs put together for me. so they were basically foolproof.

one day id like to make my own recipes but for now i need to stick to someone elses.

Back