Big Brew Day score!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summersolstice

Reaction score
Our local brewery is supplying our club members with wort on Big Brew Day. The brewer will begin brewing a batch of English Mild at 0900 and club members will "help" with crushing, stirring, etc. In return, he'll provide each member with 5 gallons of wort for the price of the ingredients - $8! He'll provide the wort either before of after pitching the yeast (our choice) and even allow club members to pick up their finished five gallons after fermentation is complete, for $16 (the finished beer is taxed). What a way to support local home brewing! Way to go, Thunderhead!

That's great! I think I'd choose to get the wort pre yeast, that way different members can choose different yeasts to ferment with and later you can compare the end results at a club meeting. This will be my first Big Brew since joining OmaHops and as I understand it we have a 100 gallon kettle.

Sounds like they're doing the SS Minnow Mild Ale from Dry Dock Brewing. I did my "Big Brew Day" brew early - did a double batch of the Mild to hand out at work for National Homebrew Day. I just finished bottling it up about an hour ago and it tastes wonderful! No wonder it was a GABF silver medal winner.

Our local brewery is supplying our club members with wort on Big Brew Day. The brewer will begin brewing a batch of English Mild at 0900 and club members will "help" with crushing, stirring, etc. In return, he'll provide each member with 5 gallons of wort for the price of the ingredients - $8! He'll provide the wort either before of after pitching the yeast (our choice) and even allow club members to pick up their finished five gallons after fermentation is complete, for $16 (the finished beer is taxed). What a way to support local home brewing! Way to go, Thunderhead!

Hey summersolstice! My local brewery is doing the exact same thing. Oh, same brewery, Thunderhead!! See ya there at 0900!

You really ought to let him bottle it for you too an pick it up then.

How exactly does this support home brewing? (since they totally remove the "home" from the "brewing".)

How exactly does this support home brewing? (since they totally remove the "home" from the "brewing".)

We all make a lot of homebrew. The owner is very active in the club as well. We just get a chance to do it like the "big guys" do it. He also has a canning operation going. One of our meetings a while back we all got to can a beer for our selves. That was cool! Check it out. Thunderhead Golden Frau honey Wheat. Kearney Hub - Hub Video

Trevor has helped many of us with our brewing questions & challenges over the years too. What more can I say.

I did this recently... it was a bit more expensive, $30 for the first 5 gal (but that included pizza, bagels, and beer...) and $15 for each 5 gallons after that. It's a great, great experience... kind of like getting to work on an indy 500 pit crew, if you're in to cars. :D

Like many brewers, Trevor at Thunderhead began as a home brewer himself and he's been very supportive of our club. It's also nice to be able to see how it's done commercially for those aspiring commercial brewers. He's supporting the club and generating interest in brewing today and we'll support him next September by helping pick hops. Maybe mutual aid isn't the way things get done elsewhere, but it's certainly typical for this part of the country.

Like many brewers, Trevor at Thunderhead began as a home brewer himself and he's been very supportive of our club. It's also nice to be able to see how it's done commercially for those aspiring commercial brewers. He's supporting the club and generating interest in brewing today and we'll support him next September by helping pick hops. Maybe mutual aid isn't the way things get done elsewhere, but it's certainly typical for this part of the country.

+1 summersolstice!!! See ya May 2!!:rockin:

We're doing this on June 6th here and I can't freakin' wait!!! Ours is $20 a share. Not too bad for 5 gal of microbrew IMHO.

The local here near smAlbany gave the ingredients for the SS Minnow for extract or AG free if you brewed in front of the shop on big brew day. How can you beat 5 gallons of free beer? I think there were close to 30 batches being brewed between noon and 5 that day. I did an AG of SS minnow two weekends ago, and an extract at the LHBS on the 2nd. Racked the AG from two weekends ago to a keg with half a bag of priming sugar and it tastes pretty damn good. Can't wait until it's ready. It's going to be very difficult to leave that keg alone for 3 weeks.

Wish I had a LHBS that was cool and did big brew days like this.

Get your local beerclub to band together and build a BugBrew system. Wew have a rig that can do about almost 100 galons at a time, and fire it up at club events, and everyone goes home with Wert.

Back