Belgian Tripel high O.G.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tahoetavern

Reaction score
Brewed a Belgian Tripel 6 weeks ago. Just took my second FG reading of 1.030 at 69* F. I took my first FG reading at 5 weeks which was the same. My OG was 1.088. My target OG was 1.083-1.086 my FG target was 1.017-1.020 I am wondering why I am so high? The only thing Incan think of was that I did a full 5 gal boil, after I added everything I was very close to the rim of my 6 gal pot. I had to keep it at a very low boil the whole time to prevent a boil over. I added less the 2 quarts to top it off. Any help would be appreciated.

Need more info. A copy of the recipe would be nice. What where the temps like all during fermentation?

My temps were in range the entire time, I did not use a yeast starter. The yeast was dry SACHET. It was a extract kit from Brewers Best. I ask because I wanted to bottle tonight, unless there is a chance the FG will still drop

I wouldn't bottle yet. 1033 from a 1088 OG is not good attenuation. Especially for a Belgian yeast. I'm not sure your gravity will drop further, but you should try repitching with another pack of yeast at least.

For big beers like this, it is very important to pitch enough yeast (ie starter or multiple packs of rehydrated dry) and oxygenate your wort really well. Then, start fermenting colder and slowly ramp up temps to get full attenuation. Belgians should include a fair amount of fully fermentable sugars (candy sugar for example) which will help them finish low.

I'm concerned with bottle bombs in your case, but even if that doesn't happen, a 1033 FG will be so sweet, it would be tough to drink. Try warming your beer up a bit to 70-72 and rousing the yeast by swirling the bucket. If that fails to get the gravity dropping, repitch another rehydrated packet of yeast. That should get your gravity going. I wouldn't bottle till you are stable and sub 1020 on this. Preferably around 1014. Keep us posted and good luck!

tahoetavern said:
Thanks for the advice, any advice on a yeast strain for repitching?

At this point, the flavors and esters have been established. You really just want to put in something to restart fermentation. Something that can tolerate the alcohol level present and get the lower attenuation you need too. You can do the same yeast you originally pitched or something else like S05.

If you want to go liquid, I'd use white labs 001 or 090.

Looks like I need to do more readying in my brewing books. So I will better understand the "language" of brewing. Thanks again for all the help.

I second the warming and swirling method. The last tripel I brewed started at 1.084 and petered out around 1.020 at 68° and it tasted really sweet. Four days at 72° and it was down to 1.009 and had a much cleaner finish.

tahoetavern said:
Looks like I need to do more readying in my brewing books. So I will better understand the "language" of brewing. Thanks again for all the help.

Sorry for the jargon. Which part would you like clarification on?

My temps were in range the entire time, I did not use a yeast starter. The yeast was dry SACHET. It was a extract kit from Brewers Best. I ask because I wanted to bottle tonight, unless there is a chance the FG will still drop

That beer is done if you ask me and I'll tell you my toughts.

Your problem was that you under pitched the yeast. For all my tripels I use 1.5 packets if not 2 full packs.

Anything over 1.070 I think requires 1.5 packs of dry yeast even most online calcs will state the same.

You could let it go a few more weeks but I doubt it's going to change much just from what I've seen with my own lack of pitching enough yeast.

Yeast attenuation... the kit only came with one pack of yeast. the packing list for it only says one pack, so I know I didn't lose one. But after I missed my OG I posted on the forums about it. A few people asked why I only got one pack. I know for the future to use a starter at least. I'm going to pick up another packet of yeast to see if I can save this batch.

Correct most kits will only come with one packet of yeast as you gain more experience you'll learn to look at the beers you buy and if they are what we call big beers you simply have to buy additional packs of yeast. This is simply a learning experience and many of us have been in your shoes, I know I have.

hopefully it is save ably. I gave it a couple extra weeks hoping the gravity would drop. We will see if more yeast help...

You really need your Tripel to get down below 1.020 before bottling. As someone mentioned, try getting it to a warmer temp .. around 70 and add something like S-05

I pitched a pack of Safale US-05 last night. So far no airlock activity. any advice?

Did you rehydrate before pitching? What temp was the beer when you pitched? Also, it can normally take 24-72 hours to show fermentation activity, with the alcohol present in your beer already, I'd suspect a re-pitching could take longer. (although I've never re-pitched so that's a guess)

Oh, it could also be working and your airlock isn't airtight letting some CO2 escape other places. Give it a few more days. RDWHAHB.

I did not rehydrate, I just read an article about it. ( I wish I would have ) I pitched around 68-70 degrees.

I'm not sure if the seal on my bucket is still good. Still no activity as far as I can tell.

tahoetavern said:
I'm not sure if the seal on my bucket is still good. Still no activity as far as I can tell.

How long has it been since you repitched? Check your gravity to see if it restarted.

I repitched on Tuesday. Just flew to California for the holidays. Won't be able to check till the 31st : /

tahoetavern said:
I repitched on Tuesday. Just flew to California for the holidays. Won't be able to check till the 31st : /

Enjoy the holiday! When you get back, check the gravity. You'll know then if it worked.

Well... Finally checked the brew again. The gravity has not changed. : / can I try re pitching another pack ( this time I will rehydrate of course ) any help?

Back