Head on brew ? keg...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karljrberno

Reaction score
What makes a bigger/smaller head on the brew , I know it has something to do with the ID on the dispenseing end .. I'm not sure witch way it works , Is bigger ID Going to make big head or a smaller ID Going to dispense more head

The bigger the ID results in more foam because there's less resistance in the lines. Normally you use 3/16" ID because 1/4" will cause to much foaming. If you're already using 3/16" then cut the length down a little bit at a time. The shorter the line the more it will foam as well.

As said, it all about pressure and equalizing it. You want to lower the pressure form keg to tap with sufficient line length and ID.
Shorter line and bigger ID will provide less resistance and due to that more foam.

If your beers aren't pouring with enough head, I'd suggest not changing anything with the system. Instead, make sure your glassware is clean and washed by hand, and then look at your pouring technique. Try changing the angle/height from the faucet to the glass.

Latest posts

Back