1 gallon fermentor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecialEd

Reaction score
Does anyone ever bottle ferment in a 1 gallon glass "growler." I always get growlers from the local brewpub and it would be great to throw a gallon in there to bottle condition instead of 10 more bottles. They would be great to give away, easily see into the bottle(have to protect it from the light), and perfect to keep in the fridge. The only thing I can think might be a problem is the cap might not seal or be able to hold the pressure.

SpecialEd said:
The only thing I can think might be a problem is the cap might not seal or be able to hold the pressure.

That's the general opinion. I personally would be more concerned with the cap than the pressure from carbonation (they come from the brewery with carbonated beer in them, so apparently they can handle 'proper' pressure), but I don't think you could get a very good seal on them.

-walker

Does your growler have a screw-on cap or is it like a Grolsch type with a rubber stopper, etc.?

If it is a screw-on cap, unfortunately, it won't work. The Grolsch type of cap works with no problem-I do it all the time.

yeh its a screw on. I went to the brew store today and asked about it the guy said those growlers really arent meant to hold the pressure even if it did have a Grolesch cap. I beleive it would be some sort of bottle H-Bomb lol. Someone should make one though it would be cool to bottle 2 gallons and 3 gallons in growlers.

I think I misunderstood...I bottle condition in my growler with no problem, but I never ferment in it. That WOULD turn into a bottle grenade!

Well yeah bottle condition is what I meant, or at least meant the process of carbonating in the bottle. I would think that would be a pressure problem because if you ferment you have an airlock to release the pressure.

Back