Kegging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluespook

Reaction score
Just curious...don't have a system yet, but would like to get one in the next few months...If you have, say a 2 keg system, and hook up 2 kegs, will they be good for a long time? That's assuming that it takes a long time to drink all of one.

Heck, I don't know, maybe a couple three months. I'd drink an ale keg on my own in a month, but a mead might take a couple of months...maybe more.

You will be fine then. You also can bottle out of a keg if you need to free up some space or just want several bottles to store.

Thanks for the input. Just one of those little unknowns that pop into your head now and again while you're mulling over a purchase.

Im thinking of getting a keg setup as well, how long would the bottles last if you bottled from the keg?
You know I am not exactly sure because I have not done it yet. I would bet it would be very similar to the standard bottling timeframe. Someone will come by and chime in that has some experience in doing it.

Might point out that mead takes YEARS to make, and is super expensive...even to make, you might want to bottle that and enjoy it over the next few years instead of intending to quaff it over a few weeks.

Might point out that mead takes YEARS to make, and is super expensive...even to make, you might want to bottle that and enjoy it over the next few years instead of intending to quaff it over a few weeks.
I had never heard of mead in kegs either but, what do I know.

nystevecf ....I can't see pictures on some websites at work. I will look when I get home but I thought Midwest Supply had some good starter setups.

I made a spicy cider last year to have ready for Thanksgiving and holidays to follow. I put in half a cup of black peppercorn seeds in it when I moved it to a secondary and conditioning and left it for about six weeks. Wow, you really have to like the taste of black pepper now! It's not hot, but the flavor is strong.

Anyway, I still have it on tap. And I just had a glass the other night and it tasted as good as it did when I made it. So it's been 9+ months in the keg/tapped.

/tg

BK...again, your wisdom shines through. Of course it would be smarter to bottle the mead and not tie up a keg for those long months/years. I'll keep that in mind and bottle the REALLY good stuff and keg the commodities! BYW with all this wisdom, you must be quite old (I am, myself, older, but my wisdom is in stuff that was only useful before retiring.)

I would say the number of taps should depend on not only how much you are brewing now but how much you plain to brew in the future and the variety you like to have on hand....I started with a single tap kegerator and moved on to 4 tap a few years back and haven't had any problems with my kegs going bad. (I like to keep One Dark Ale, One Light Ale, One IPA and a seasonal- be it a fruit beer in the summer or a smoked porter in the winter)

Just leave yourself room to grow is all I'm saying...take care...you don't want to have to buy things twice like i did...

My idea on kegging is find the biggest chest freezer you can get a good deal on/afford and that SWMBO approves for whatever space it's going in. Then however many kegs you can fit in there, get that many for your setup eventually. I plan on using mine for a fermentaion cabinet/kegerator.

Still out of stock:( Will this one do more then two? If not what is the best setup if you dont know how many kegs you want to end with?

Looks like the same thing except a new tank, so thats pretty sweet.
I finally have my setup up and running, and I love it!
I have a brown ale carbonating right now while I am serving the blonde ale. :mug:

I cant wait! Now to read up on how to keg and all that good stuff, so I dont make a noob mistake.

Thanks again for all the help.

Back