Dog DNA test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffMongoloid

Reaction score
anybody every have the test done to see what kinds of breeds you mix dog is...

we currently have a puppy we adopted from a shelter that we are wanting to know what types of breeds she is... we have researched different things online some stating they need blood and what not... the Vet told us that there is something at pets mart we could do but we are unsure

anyone ever have a test done? i am wanting to get it done for my GF for christmas as a present cause she is dying to know....

thanks in advance

I thought maybe you were planning on using a dog to commit a crime and wanted to know if it could be traced. But this is interesting too.

We've two dogs supposedly from the same litter that look almost nothing alike. We got them from a family member before she died. She got them from someone who got them from someone who got them from someone. So who knows. They both look like Chihuahuas, but two very different kinds.

I thought maybe you were involved in some weird paternity case.

I've never heard of a DNA test to see what a mut is made of.
Seems like the test would be spendy

I thought maybe you were involved in some weird paternity case.

I've never heard of a DNA test to see what a mut is made of.
Seems like the test would be spendy

$70. Chump change, comparatively, to the commitment. But, what difference would it make? What if you find that your dog is 80% of a breed susceptible to some impossible genetic disease?

Ive actually wondered this myself. We have a dog that was found on the streets. Always wanted to get one done but wasn't sure how accurate it really was. If you end up going through with it, post results

Zuljin said:
I thought maybe you were planning on using a dog to commit a crime and wanted to know if it could be traced. But this is interesting too.

We've two dogs supposedly from the same litter that look almost nothing alike. We got them from a family member before she died. She got them from someone who got them from someone who got them from someone. So who knows. They both look like Chihuahuas, but two very different kinds.

A ***** can actually be impregnated by two different sires during the same heat cycle. It doesn't happen a lot, but your situation may be due to that.

$70. Chump change, comparatively, to the commitment. But, what difference would it make? What if you find that your dog is 80% of a breed susceptible to some impossible genetic disease?

$70. That's a lot cheper than I ever would have guessed.

What difference would it make is a good question. It's still just a dog.

I suppose that at $70 if you really wanted to know it's not a ton of money to spend.

45_70sharps said:
$70. That's a lot cheper than I ever would have guessed.

What difference would it make is a good question. It's still just a dog.

I suppose that at $70 if you really wanted to know it's not a ton of money to spend.

Genetic disease that certain breeds are known for.

We did it. Got the test from that magazine, Hammer & Schlesinger, or whatever its called.... It was $60 or so. Got a pup from the pound and she just looked like a pit pup that never grew and with big ears. Turns out she's 75-80% Staffordshire Terrier and 20-25% Boston Terrier. She is a great little dog. So friendly and loyal. We really did it just to know, and for the fact that certain insurance companies can discriminate against specific breeds. Here's a pic - Rasta girl, our 30# runt!

ForumRunner_20121116_221132.png

Genetics tests for dogs are hit and miss...

You are bound to the fact that they do not have a full inventory of genetic profiles. So you may come up with some blank spots.

Case in point, If I sent in a swab from 5 of my 10 dogs, they would come up blank as they do not have genetic profiles for wolves.

Doubtless, you don't have a wolf, but most of those folks that do genetics don't have more than 70 or 80 breed profiles.

It's worth a shot, but a sometimes physical examinaion will give you a better idea...

Yeah, we really did care so much about the actual percentages, more just what she was mixed with out of curiosity... Either way - a few bucks, a couple of cheek swabs and some postage was worth it. A great dog is a great dog in the end regardless.

anybody every have the test done to see what kinds of breeds you mix dog is...

we currently have a puppy we adopted from a shelter that we are wanting to know what types of breeds she is... we have researched different things online some stating they need blood and what not... the Vet told us that there is something at pets mart we could do but we are unsure

anyone ever have a test done? i am wanting to get it done for my GF for christmas as a present cause she is dying to know....

thanks in advance

At first I thought this was going to be like a Maury Povitch show. :D
Regards, GF.

I think a lot of dog owners can tell you a mix breed's partial contents just by looking at them. I can tell Aussie Mixes from a mile away, mostly because I've owned Aussies for the last 10 years. It's not fail safe of course.

MC

Yeah, I agree with this for 95% of dogs. Most of the time there are very telling characteristics from each breed that can be picked out. Every once in a while there are those mixes that either look like another breed or are just an odd combo.

I love Aussies - best dog(s) I ever had. Had a tri-color that I grew up with from about 3-18 years old that I am 100% sure is the best dog that ever lived:D

We got a rescue dog about 5 years ago when he was 16 weeks old. Rescue org thought he was lab/hound.
We did the DNA test and it didn't find a primary breed, but did say secondary breed or German Shepherd Dog and Border Collie
Not sure how accurate it is.
DSC_0047_1.jpg

Shoot... Save your $70 and post a pic or two. Your fellow brewers will surely come up with a cooler lineage than any DNA test will ever tell you!

We got a rescue dog about 5 years ago when he was 16 weeks old. Rescue org thought he was lab/hound.
We did the DNA test and it didn't find a primary breed, but did say secondary breed or German Shepherd Dog and Border Collie
Not sure how accurate it is.
DSC_0047_1.jpg

GSD/Rottweiler based on the pic. Lots of people experimenting on putting known guardy breeds together to come up with designer guardy breeds. think Cockapoo, Goldendoodle, Yorkiepoo...but for the badass set.

That being said, no one worth their salt is going to reliably tell you what breed a dog is based on an image alone. Based on the image, I would suggest German Sheperd Dog and Rottweiler...but to really tell a behavioral evaluation is needed as far as i am concerend. I would not guarantee my guess without an eval, till then, it's just a guess based on a pic. You are a good a candidate for genetic testing, since most testers have profiles for popular breeds. They wont have a profiles for fringe breeds, but Rotties and GSDs are very popular and likely to be in the database to identify, though you have to be carefull because some testers are very limited in ability to identify breeds. I understand Border Collie was mentioned, in a sense I can see it in the brow, trunk and overall carriage. However, i alss see Rottie in the overall head structure and framework of the legs. The posture is very Rottie, as is the distinct focus. This sort of stuff is what i do for a living, so hopefully it helps...

I sent in a swab of my husband's cheek and the results indicated 30% Porter and 60% Black Cavendish with possible 10% terrier.

Hey, I paid for a purebred! :mad:

We did it. Got the test from that magazine, Hammer & Schlesinger, or whatever its called.... It was $60 or so. Got a pup from the pound and she just looked like a pit pup that never grew and with big ears. Turns out she's 75-80% Staffordshire Terrier and 20-25% Boston Terrier. She is a great little dog. So friendly and loyal. We really did it just to know, and for the fact that certain insurance companies can discriminate against specific breeds. Here's a pic - Rasta girl, our 30# runt!

View attachment 84330

So what you are saying is either there was a very unhappy Boston Terrier lady dog "that day" or a Boston Terrier man dog who was getting high fives for months from his buddies.

Yeah, there is something wrong with me.

I sent in a swab of my husband's cheek and the results indicated 30% Porter and 60% Black Cavendish with possible 10% terrier.

Hey, I paid for a purebred! :mad:

Now that I have confirmed your gender I realize that it hasnt changed my perception at all... I truly am an enlightened being.

There's a brand new condo complex that went up in my town. Apparently, there's one tenant that just lets her dog do it's business out in the hallway instead of walking it outside. This is happening just six months after opening. I live in suburbia not the city. Not that it would still be right to do it in the city. They knew who it was and just couldn't prove it. So they passed an ordinance to have all dog owners pay for a DNA test. You get to find out the mix of your dog plus if they find do-do they can nab the culprit. Took 1.5 weeks to nab the b-.

Well we got the test results back today

She is a cocker spaniel, Pekingese, vizsla, catahoula leopard dog, cane corso, english toy spaniel, chihuahua, and miniature toy terrier mix

I'd recommend the wisdom panel to anyone pretty interesting stuff

Back