Iodaphor and sugar???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigPatBrewer

Reaction score
I have read in a few posts that iodaphor is not effective for use as a sanitizer in the presence of sugar. Could anyone explain this to me or point me to something that is more credible than just a random post. Thanks in advance for any help!

That makes no sense at all. For one thing, by the time a sugar solution would contact a sanitized surface, the sanitation would already be done.

I believe it stems from Charlie Talley's statement in an old (2006) Brewing Network interview when he described what makes StarSan unique. As he explained, it will kill in the presence of organic matter. If I recall, the context of this statement may have been in close conjunction with a question about the differences between Star San and Iodophor. That may have led to some confusion. But the short of it is, that is is likely one of the sources of the information.

Back