belgian dubbel & secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimzella

Reaction score
I have an all grain Belgian dubbel in the primary. the og was 1.065 ingredients were found at byo.com. my question is, should I secondary this brew? or will bottle conditioning be fine? some say to secondary and some say it's not necessary. since this is my first all grain and first somewhat high gravity, I am just a little unclear as to what a secondary fermentation (Carboy) will do to Benefit. or will I get the same results with only a primary fermentation (4 weeks) and bottle condition of 6 months?

thank you,
dave

IMO you can really do either and I don't think there would be a huge benefit to either one. If you want to bulk condition use a secondary and then bottle, otherwise bottle condition once the beer reaches final gravity and clears. If you choose to secondary be sure you wait until fermentation is complete before moving the beer.

Just for simplicity, and the fact you mentioned you like a 4 week primary- I'd bottle straight from primary. No need to add an extra step- your beer should be pretty drinkable out of primary

Back