Sierra nevada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewishowardm3

Reaction score
Hi all, for my next batch, as I've said before will be a BIAB. I went to my first beer festival here in the UK.

anyway I had my first American pale ale and I got to say I was hooked. It was a sierra Nevada pale ale. I want to know if it's quite east to clone this beer and does anyone have the recipe?

Thanks.

Have a search around on here - I'm sure you'll find a SN Pale Ale clone. I'm pretty sure you'll make something close with a recipe consisting of pale malt, crystal malt (about 5%), cascade hops, and US-05 yeast.

Don't have the recipe, but I can tell you that the yeast strain they use is widely available and is probably used more by homebrewers than any other strain (with the possible exception of the packets found under the lid of those awful kit-and-kilo kits). It is sold by at least 3 companies...

Fermentis - Safale US-05 (dry)
White Labs - WLP001 (liquid)
Wyeast - Wy1056 (liquid)

Sierra Nevada is probably one of the most cloned beers out there....should be able to come up with something with a google search

For most commercial beers, this one included, you can go to their website and they will tell you just about every ingredient they use to make it. I can't copy the link from my phone but I did just check the site.... Magnum and perle for bittering, cascade for flavor and aroma....etc.. Go check it out for yourself it should help you out.

YEAST: TOP-FERMENTING ALE YEAST
BITTERING HOPS: MAGNUM & PERLE
FINISHING: HOPS CASCADE
MALTS: TWO-ROW PALE & CARAMEL

No specific amounts but got it right off their website?

Also list there OG and FG

1 lb C60
Clean American yeast (at a push you could use an English yeast at low temps to minimize ester production). Or buy a bottle of SNPA and grow the yeast from the bottle.
Bitter with almost any hop. Stay away from ones with lots of flavor, such as Sorachi Ace.
2 ozs flame out addition of Cascade.
SN does not do a dry hop, but I would recommend dry hopping with Cascade.

If you like that beer. Then try the same recipe, except replace the Cascade hops with Citra hops. You will get close to their Torpedo Ale.

Calder said:
1 lb C60
Clean American yeast (at a push you could use an English yeast at low temps to minimize ester production). Or buy a bottle of SNPA and grow the yeast from the bottle.
Bitter with almost any hop. Stay away from ones with lots of flavor, such as Sorachi Ace.
2 ozs flame out addition of Cascade.
SN does not do a dry hop, but I would recommend dry hopping with Cascade.

If you like that beer. Then try the same recipe, except replace the Cascade hops with Citra hops. You will get close to their Torpedo Ale.

Cheers. I'll play around with a few ingredients and go for it

I've made this several times and its pretty darn close and oh so good.

11 gallon batch.

-20 lbs. Rahr 2-row
-1.5 lbs. Caramel 60

Mash: 151° F 60 minutes

1.0 oz. Magnum (45 min)
1.5 oz. Perle (20 min)
3 oz. Cascade (0 min)

WYEAST #1056 AMERICAN ALE YEAST.

Finding out they don't dry hop surprised me a little as I want to dry hop my next pale ale and wanted to copy their style. Will give it a go with the cascade hops though and see what happens.

The last beer that I made was a SN clone. It tasted nothing like SN but it was still awesome. LOL!

Back