Why Whirlpool?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
I keep seeing people that want to whirlpool their wort after a boil. Why would you want to do this? I know you will seperate alot of the trube from the wort but you will seperate it after primary fermentation anyway, right? Is there some bad or off flavors that it creates? I have a false bottom in my keggle so I don't get any of the hops, but I get alot of the wort, down to 1 or 2 oz left in the bottom, trube and all. What are the benefits of whirlpooling?

I wolld also like to know whats the difference or explaine it more clearly to me

I like leaving behind particulate matter at each juncture. First line of defense is vorlaufing, then I use hop bags, then I whirlpool. My beer is crystal clear leaving the kettle. Then, after the ferment, I crash cool, and that drops even more protein/yeast out of solution. I gently siphon, and the beer is clear as a bell in the keg. So, in short...that's why I whirlpool:)

So it's all about clarity or does it affect the taste of the final product? If it's just about clarity then it's not worth it for me. I can just let it sit around and fall out in fermenters. Might not be as sparkling crystal clear but I'm fine with that. :) IF you recycled while boiling or at the end of the boil would a hop bag catch most of the trube or is it too fine?

I can't speak to any difference in taste, it's just a preference. I imagine recirculating in your boil with a hop bag would work, but you'll catch a lot more if you cool and catch all the proteins from the cold break.

Regardless of the amount of cold break you get out of the kettle, the yeast will chew it up and spit it out during fermentation. This primary is an example of substantial cold break...right out of the kettle.

Eventually, the stuff settled down to about 1 inch of compact trub which I siphoned around. This was a Kolsh and turned out crystal clear.
Chiller_Filter_1.jpg

That said, avoiding sediment of any kind in my fermenter is the reason I won't go with a spigot. I prefer to rack my beer out of the keg from inside my chiller filter.

Chiller_Filter_5.jpg

With a false bottom, you won't gain much whirlpooling the kettle. I use a bazooka tube and it really reduces clogging if I've used pellet hops at some point.

Ah, a helpful hint is being told that after whirlpooling you must wait 20-30 min for it to all settle... I didnt see anything at the bottom of my kettle but i surely saw particulate in the wort as i poured it into the fermenter. I dont know if its worth letting your vulnerable temperature wort hang out for 20-30 minutes...isnt that why you bought a chiller???

Sorry about the bump, saw the date after posted. Still a valid concern for many. And a good link to wiki I havent seen.

I use the false bottom in the boil kettle and only leaf hops. The leaf hops really help to hold back all the goo.

Ah, a helpful hint is being told that after whirlpooling you must wait 20-30 min for it to all settle... I didnt see anything at the bottom of my kettle but i surely saw particulate in the wort as i poured it into the fermenter. I dont know if its worth letting your vulnerable temperature wort hang out for 20-30 minutes...isnt that why you bought a chiller??? .

The extra time alone would keep me from ever considering this. More time added to my brew day and more time before it's sealed with yeast. I'd rather not. The hopsock does the trick for me if I want to keep the hops out. I don't care about cold break.

hop%20filter.jpg

Regardless of the amount of cold break you get out of the kettle, the yeast will chew it up and spit it out during fermentation. This primary is an example of substantial cold break...right out of the kettle.

Eventually, the stuff settled down to about 1 inch of compact trub which I siphoned around. This was a Kolsh and turned out crystal clear.
View attachment 2951

That said, avoiding sediment of any kind in my fermenter is the reason I won't go with a spigot. I prefer to rack my beer out of the keg from inside my chiller filter.

View attachment 2952

Wow sh*t ! that is brilliant and what i plan to do from now on.

Ah, a helpful hint is being told that after whirlpooling you must wait 20-30 min for it to all settle... I didnt see anything at the bottom of my kettle but i surely saw particulate in the wort as i poured it into the fermenter. I dont know if its worth letting your vulnerable temperature wort hang out for 20-30 minutes...isnt that why you bought a chiller???

Sorry about the bump, saw the date after posted. Still a valid concern for many. And a good link to wiki I havent seen.

I whirlpool and leave for 15 to 20 minutes for the trub cone to settle. Just put the lid on the kettle and no critters will get in. I haven't done hundreds of batches (still a noob), but I've never had an infection in my first 10 AG batches (knock on wood). I use the whirlpool primarily to keep solids out of my plate chiller when draining to the fermenter. Also, I usually use pellet hops, which I'd like to remove from the wort before letting the beer alone for a few weeks. I don't use any bags, strainers, false bottoms, bazooka tubes, etc. Just whirlpool - there's less equipment to clean up after the boil.

As far as whirlpooling effectively, here's my method that works well for me.

-Put stirrer/paddle in boil to sterilize
-Turn off boil
-After a few minutes (less than 5) vigorously stir wort for at least 10 seconds. Get a good whirlpool going.
-Remove stirrer from kettle and allow whirlpool to spin unhindered. Cover.
-Let sit for 10 to 20 minutes.
-Remove wort slowly so as to not disturb the solids cone deposited at the bottom.

I have keggle with a 1/2" drain on the side, close to the bottom (about 1" up from the bottom). I do not have a bottom drain. I did it this way so I could whirlpool, then drain from the side. After the liquid level gets below the kettle drain, I just tip the kettle slightly to get the last bit of liquid without disturbing the trub/solids cone. I usually only leave about 1/2 gallon or less of wort behind:( - plus of course all the hops residue, hot break, and other crap:D.

Pangea

So after the boil, and into a cold bath with a wort chiller, it is beneficial to stir and create a whirlpool, then rest and then rack into the primary instead of pouring? I might have to give this a try this weekend.

So after the boil, and into a cold bath with a wort chiller, it is beneficial to stir and create a whirlpool, then rest and then rack into the primary instead of pouring? I might have to give this a try this weekend.

Make two batches as identical as you can and do one each way. Report back in a couple months on your findings.:rockin:

Make two batches as identical as you can and do one each way. Report back in a couple months on your findings.:rockin:

I don't think I'll need to do two batches for a comparison. I'm brewing a clone of a local micro-brewed beer that I know well so I'll be able to tell the difference just from this batch.
I can only imagine how much less trub there will be. I'm also assuming this would make Irish moss even more effective.

i never whirlpool and my wart flows clear and cold crash it's even better. i think if you like it do it if not don't. I really don't think with a false bottom it's necessary.

Back