SG Sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raptorkeeper89

Reaction score
I'm looking to see what you guys do to sanitize your beer thief/ turkey baster prior to taking a hydrometer reading. And of course I know star San, iodophor. I don't mean the obvious. What I mean is instead of making sone huge batch of starsan, what could be done to quickly sanitize to take a reading for a few days in a row?

I have a glass Voss water bottle with a relatively wide mouth. It's about 20 oz, and I pour some star san in and dunk my thief in it.

voss.jpg

I always have at least a gallon (or three) of StarSan solution mixed up in a covered bucket. Especially since it's mead making season. :rockin: Even when it's not, I normally have StarSan mixed up, on hand in a bucket. I also have it in a spray bottle, for when I need to sanitize something I can't fully dunk (stainless racking cane for instance).

I use an old corny that was given to me and I can't get to seal. It always has 4-5 gallons of starsan in it. Makes sanitation super convenient, but only because it is broken and free.

I do already use the spray bottle with starsan, very convenient on brew day. I didn't even think of just having a spare bucket always on the ready.

I bought a cheap 36 inch paint roller pan. I also have 5 gallons of starsan on hand at all times. I just pour a gallon or so into the roller pan, then lay the thief in it, or anything else that's long. I have a paint store down the street, but I believe they carry them at Lowes or Home Depot.

I looked into the wallpaper pans and stuff early on. They just seemed so flimsy to me. I use the bucket O'StarSan to get some into the racking cane, then get it to flow inside it to sanitize. I then just spray down the outside really well with more StarSan (as needed) to ensure it's sanitized. I also get the tubing going onto the racking cane full of StarSan, connect it to the cane, and then get that StarSan to flow through the cane (more volume).

There's always a few different ways to do things it seems. IMO, as long as you sanitize what you need to, well/properly, do it however you need to. I've been known to put StarSan into a keg and blast it out of the liquid post, through the racking hardware, to sanitize it all (inside at least)...

Latest posts

Back