Cheap Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adolphus79

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure some of the oldbies around here know this already, but I thought I would just inform some of the newbies. A great way to get cheap bottles is your local redemption / recycling center. I went to my local redemption center yesterday, and scored 16 750ml bottles and 2 one gallon jugs for 5 bucks. Here in Maine, the cash deposit on a bottle of wine is 15 cents, and I offered the guy 25 cents each for the 750s, and 50 cents for the gallons. He's gonna start holding on to them for me, so I can pick them up every weekend. Beer bottles are even cheaper.

Moral of the story, if yer looking for cheap bottles, call up yer local redemption / recycling center.

Yes, that's a great tip. I scored about 400 Grolsch swing-top bottles for $60 at my local recycling depot a few years ago. Apparently, they can't deal with the swing tops so they were going to just chuck them.

FlyGuy said:
Yes, that's a great tip. I scored about 400 Grolsch swing-top bottles for $60 at my local recycling depot a few years ago. Apparently, they can't deal with the swing tops so they were going to just chuck them.
Holy Toledo! You could have even sold those for a nice profit!

Wow that is a good deal. We don't have anything like that here in Maryland. Since there is no deposit on bottles most people just put them in curb side pickup. I've been putting in extra time hitting up some good commercial brews and telling friends to keep bottle for me.

I've just found 2 dozen EZ-Caps for $6 per dozen on Kijiji. For any other Edmontonians out there, he says he still has some left.

You could try my next step, I'm about to put an ad in our weekly classifieds magazine. A simple ad that reads "Wanted: Glass Bottles, 750ml, 1 gallon, 3 gallon, 5 gallon". I'm out in the boonies here, so we don't have a local paper, but you could try putting the ad in your local paper, and when they call, offer them a quarter each or whatever (I'm thinking $0.25 per 750, $0.50 per 1 gallon, and like 5 bucks for a carboy)...

You could try my next step, I'm about to put an ad in our weekly classifieds magazine. A simple ad that reads "Wanted: Glass Bottles, 750ml, 1 gallon, 3 gallon, 5 gallon". I'm out in the boonies here, so we don't have a local paper, but you could try putting the ad in your local paper, and when they call, offer them a quarter each or whatever (I'm thinking $0.25 per 750, $0.50 per 1 gallon, and like 5 bucks for a carboy)/

You could try my next step, I'm about to put an ad in our weekly classifieds magazine. A simple ad that reads "Wanted: Glass Bottles, 750ml, 1 gallon, 3 gallon, 5 gallon". I'm out in the boonies here, so we don't have a local paper, but you could try putting the ad in your local paper, and when they call, offer them a quarter each or whatever (I'm thinking $0.25 per 750, $0.50 per 1 gallon, and like 5 bucks for a carboy). Still beats paying for new bottles, plus shipping...

Back