Amber ale with actual amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nanannan

Reaction score
Anyone tried to brew some? I just bought a sack of raw amber, most of it is going into a a piece of furniture I'm building but I'm thinking of making the rest into an ale :D . Its just tree sap after all, and in the olden days it was sometimes burnt as incense. Could be an epic beer.

I always thought Amber was fossilized; essentially a rock.

Not sure how you would use it?

Its actually very moldable if you boil it. I'm thinking boil it soft and then slice it into thin pieces and boil again until it dissolves completely.

Definitely let us know how it turns out. I'd probably go with the less is more approach until you can get a better feel for how to use this stuff though.

Interesting. From what I've read you need to get temps up to at least 300 Degrees F. to completely dissolve some ambers and others up to 500F. (per the blog post posted by mthompson) So I am curious to see how you do this and even more curious to hear how it turns out. Best of luck with this.

Cant wait to see the pictures from the "Is my amber beer ruined?" thread of a hammered velociraptor zygote doing the backstroke in his ale pail.

The world is only 10,000 years old. There were no dinosaurs. It's also flat. Dunno what you crazies are talking about.

You probably won't be able to get anything useful from in unless you use a setup similar to Heston Blumenthal the molecular gastonomist.

He goes through a lot to distill a frnkinsence hydrosol for his Christmas meal where he sued Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back