pectic enzyme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rengelma

Reaction score
Ok, I've never used pectic enzyme in a batch of cider before. I got the idea to try and use some in a cider I'm making from reading about it in the forums, but all the resources say add it to the cider before fermentation. I want to know if I could successfully add it during my secondary because I have some cider going already and would like to try this out without having to start a whole new batch.

Thanks!

Rob

It makes little to no difference when you add it unless you're adding whole fruit, where it should be added in the primary (to release sugars and flavours).

Unless you was wanting some redicusly clear cider, I wouldn't use it. It may help the flavor a little, but it takes a while to clear back out. I read on a yeast company website that if a little pectic hase doesn't bother you, then leave it alone and not use enzymes.

Note: I think this also relates to cider.
Pectin is composed of long chains of galactonuric acid whose side chains of methyl alcohol are the chief source of the trace amounts of methanol found in all wines. The more the pectin breaks down, the more methanol is released into the wine.

Unless you was wanting some redicusly clear cider, I wouldn't use it. It may help the flavor a little, but it takes a while to clear back out.

It took about almost 3 months to clear up, and it was wild to watch because everything just slowly sank to the bottom of the carboy. There was a distinct line in the cider that moved down. I bottled it up this past weekend and it looked almost like apple juice! Probably wasn't necessary, but it's good to know.

I've also read that pectic enzyme can raise the methanol level,if you want to remove the pectic haze i recommend using negatively charged fining agents like Bentonite, Kieselsol that are useful in removing proteins.

Back