Lactobacillus cultivation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanecb

Reaction score
I was wondering if it is possible to do a similar method with culturing lactobacillus as is done with yeast (an example being FlyGuy's fantastic tutorial on creating a yeast bank). I need to get lactobacillus in on special order from my LHBS, and it would be nice to have a frozen vial around for when I do a berliner or something of the sort. Is this possible, and any tips on doing this with the lacto? In my head I keep trying to guess if it would be the same process, but I really have no idea. Does anyone have experience in cultivation and storing bugs?

Maybe I'll have to experiment with this one on my own? :p I probably will in the near future, and post the results in another thread. I'm hoping I can get it to work.

The only comment I can add is that when I am doing a lacto-sour, I typically do a sour mash. The grain has plenty of bacteria present, so you just let your mash stand for ~18 to 48 hours depending on how sour you like (I typically go with 36 hrs which is quite sour). Then you can sparge and brew as usual. ODaniel has some great info in his threads on KY Commons.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/kentucky-common-sourness-126826/

I will soon be working on doing the same Shane. I'm building an incubator using an old toaster oven and a temp controller, creating a decent media that Lactobacillus will thrive on, and attempting to create some slants or plates with cultures and refrigerating them. Sometime in the future, I will attempt freezing, but as for now I keep my yeast (and soon bacteria) cultures refrigerated.

I'm running my own thread on it and will keep it updated with results.

Awesome! I haven't gotten around to trying it myself yet, but want to soon. I'll definitely be following your thread to see how it goes for you.

Back