Zwickelmania - Portland, OR - Feb 13th

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DizzyPants

Reaction score
This is an update........wow...what a blast. I wrote to each invidual brewery but this is what I wrote to the Oregon Brewers Guild....

Good Evening,

I would like to tell you what a great time we had at Zwicklemania yesterday in Portland. My wife said she was booking at weekend in Portland for Valentines Day and I was looking around for something to do during the day. I was thrilled when I found there was a statewide brewery festival. I am not sure how thrilled my wife was…..anyway it was one of the main reasons we confirmed our reservations and made sure to take part. I just started homebrewing about a year ago and am very interested to speak with people in the know and get tips from those that are doing this for a living. We were staying downtown next to Macy’s so it was nice there was the Rogue Farm bus doing the route. We went down to the Rock Bottom Brewery to catch it, although it was 30 minutes late, the driver who was very nice had mapquest directions from brewery to brewery and didn’t know where he was half the time. I thought we could just take the bus up to Lucky Labrador and hoof it from there.

This gave us a chance to try beers and see breweries that in some cases I hadn’t even heard of. Each brewery was a different yet great experience. And to boot, we got to meet and hang out with Kurt Widmer.

Our stops:

Lucky Labrador Beer Hall – A very nice brewery with some great food. I sampled their 5 Ton Lager (8.8%) and one of their Alt style both of which were very good. They didn’t really have any specials and the bartender knew very little about the festival but their brewery tour was informative and the brewmaster was more than willing to answer any and all questions. I would definitely go back.

Bridgeport Brewery – A great facility and they were very good about offering tours on the half hour b/c of the number of people that were coming in. I tried their Ropewalk Amber and that is probably the finest Amber I have ever had. Our tour guide was the cellarmaster Todd Fleming and it was very interesting to know about the sustainability of the brewing and their seemingly zero footprint. We got a pull of the Zwickle and was very happy with the whole experience.

Rogue Brewery – It was a zoo, totally packed. They were having their garage sale and I picked up a growler for $2 (twist cap). It was so busy that we didn’t try to get a beer and figured we would start walking in the direction of Widmer.

Upright Brewery – This was across the bridge and by the Rose Garden. B/c they are located on the lower level their name wasn’t visible from the outside but we found some people who led us there. A great little brewery with some really cool equipment (open fermenters). The gentleman we talked with was very knowledgeable and they had copious samples. They mainly brew saissons, which isn’t my particular favorite style, but they had a few that were remarkable for that style.

Widmer Brewery – We then walked up to Widmer. A huge impressive facility. Actually before I knew about the festival I made a tour reservation there. I was then called back a week later and was told that they wouldn’t be holding their regular tours but instead an open house. The representative said he didn’t know if there would be samples available and offered to send me a $10 gift card to the brewpub. When we arrived Kurt Widmer was the one checking ID’s and welcoming everyone. Before you got on the tour they handed you a beer and some food. Amazing. The tour began at their grain silo and then the mash tun and boiler. Then more beer. We then saw the massive fermenters, and there was more beer. We saw their kegging area and was offered another sample. We then saw the packaging area and quality control. It was an over the top tour and we got photos with the brothers. A great experience. We then hit the brewpub for a few hefe’s and some food.

Once again, thank you for sponsoring such a great festival and we are already making plans to meet friends from Idaho and Florida to partake next year.

~Diz

So, are any HBT'ers going this year? I am planning to go but not too sure which breweries to hit, here in Portland anyway! Ninkasi and Deschutes are my faves but they are each about 3 hours drive in different directions:(

If anyone is going and wants someone to hang with I would appreciate the company and don't really care which breweries to visit so let me know!

I'll be in town! I'm pretty opened to which breweries to visit...

Migration lists a Russian Imperial Stout that might be interesting... PM me.

M_C
So, are any HBT'ers going this year? I am planning to go but not too sure which breweries to hit, here in Portland anyway! Ninkasi and Deschutes are my faves but they are each about 3 hours drive in different directions:(

If anyone is going and wants someone to hang with I would appreciate the company and don't really care which breweries to visit so let me know!

How about a bump for this year. Any suggestions where to go. I did Widmer, Breakside, Lompoc, and Upright last year. I really want to hit up HUB this year.

Going down from Seattle for this for the third straight year. Hit and miss on the bus stuff. We are walkers and have traversed most of the city. My wife knows I love Brew and that is why we go. Widmer is always a great tour. Last year was some amazing beer and a glass at the end. Not bad for free. Others, well.....you just nod your head because they are making beer right?

Really wanted to go this year, but it's over President's Day weekend and I'll be out of town. :(

Back