Grain Substitutions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aidanpryde18

Reaction score
Going to try to brew a Dunkel this weekend for the holidays, and I am a little worried about finding the specialties I need.

The two that I am worried about are Special B Malt, and Carafa II.

I tried to search but couldn't really find anything. I am going to pick up the grain tomorrow, so I would like to have a backup plan just in case I can't find what I need.

Thanks

Carafa is "debittered chocolate malt", so you should be able to substitute chocolate malt for it.

You can probably use the darkest crystal malt available as a substitute for Special B. I did a search and see the description as:

"extreme caramel taste and aroma"

Special B is a Belgian caramel 220L. Get as close as you can.

If you can find chocolate wheat, it would be better than chocolate malt. Like Carafa II, chocolate wheat is de-husked. But, you're much more likely to find chocolate malt.

Thanks for the help, I had noticed the Chocolate Wheat to replace Carafa II, but wasn't sure about it.

I don't think there is a sub for carafa II special. Chocolate malt is the closest I've tried but it's more robust with deeper flavor than carafa. Carafa special is often used to add color and little else. If there is one it's Sinamar extract.

Back